Wanted: Schonstedt GA-52B Magnetic Locator

pigwot

M's, Juniper's, Lowen’s, and Inge’s Grandpa
If anyone sees one at a yard sale ( up to about $150-ish). They can be had on eBay for about $350.
I'd like to have one for the occasional property line dispute ("No, you are not pruning that tree, I am sure it is MY tree...").
Since it isn't an item I have to have, and it will get only very occasional use I don't want to spend too much.
I'd like the older GA-52B all-metal model, as the newer plastic ones look more fragile.

At least we have iron rods at corners of property here, and in some cases it can quell a potential riot.

GA-52B.jpg

...if I forsee problems , mostly with view work. I pull a copy of the tax maps at the town clerk's office. I always have an engineer's tape in the truck anyways , with that and my compass I can avoid trouble even if the pins have been pulled or moved (which is illeagle but popular around here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve,
These are a lot more sensitive than your typical metal detector.
Dave,
I'll have the plat in hand if/when I show up with the detector, 300 ft tape, and compass.
I had not thought about illegal 're-location' of the pins, but if they don't match the plat it goes to legal department before I'll touch it.
I used one this morning, but the fellow I borrowed it from is moving and it won't be available any longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Non-miltary-grade GPS is off by around 30 ft at times... is what we've found in the past

Even the pins are off here. They used to just go hill and dale with a chain for the line. It's no wonder there are line disputes being a common theme about our little county.

I have thought of getting a locator for stump grinding.
Property line wars are just awesome! Anything directly above the line is fair game and on several occasions have been asked to do just that clear it to the sky, but I either walk away or talk them into a heavier prune.

Back