Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Yea I have never been in the path of an uprooting spar ever. Even when I first started i knew what would happen. But most cowboys or homeowners dont have common sense about stuff like this.

I always wondered if this happened to people. I don't even want to imagine how he would turn out if he didn't hang on.

I've tried it.
As a complete greenhorn i was working some blowdown in Norway spruce. Not large trees , maybe 1½ foot DBH.
My partner had left for a dentist appointment and as I only had one saw, I was screwed when I got it stuck while bucking one 9½ feet above he rootwad.
It was a friday and I didn't fancy leaving my one and only saw there for the weekend, so I started hammering wedges in to get it unstuck.
Back then we used steel wedges, nice and sharp.
At one point I was straddling the log, hammering away, and the wedge sheared the last wood holding everything together.
Airborne logger!
I landed in a pile of branches and snow, with my balls knocked up to my ears, but otherwise OK.
Had I hit a stump it would have been another situation. Alone in the woods and hurt.

I learned a lesson at hardly no ost to myself except for sore balls.

The same thing happened to me, except it wasn't me who was launched - it was my wedge! That damn trunk threw it at least 75 feet!

Back when I'd been climbing line clearance as a "Trimmer" I whittled away on a tree hanging almost horizontal from a hill top over a 3 phase all morning and had it 1/2 done. It was almost lunch time so the bosses decided I should take the whole other 1/2 of the tree at once.

They set pulleys and had about 20 guys on the rope.

I knew I'd get bounced a bit, so bucked in hard to both sides of the main crotch.

Made a nice slow cut and they lifted the top away purty as can be....I on the other hand went sailing right over the end of the stub to end up swinging back and forth looking at the sky.

First thing I heard was "you dropped your saw! Better hope it''s not broke." from my immediate Boss (dink)

After they knew I was OK Everyone went to lunch while one guy stayed 'til I managed to climb back to the ground.

On my way back to my truck for lunch the Boss hands me a white foreman's hat and says they promoted me while I was climbing back down.

It was nice to get the raise but wouldn't want to do it again.:lol:

That guy looks like he would do good on one of those electric bulls in the cowboy bar :lol:

Back