Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

I wondered if he two blocked it, too. Extending the boom, or lowering the boom where it sucked up the last tiny bit of slack, or it was already taut and some manipulation did it.

Do you guys figure that cable was somehow overloaded, or prior weak before the pick? Weight didn't seem an issue at all. Bit of an unnerving thing to see.

IDK, Jay, It was hard to see in that vid. But, it looked like he cabled up too much and his safety warning switch didn't work. Just before the pic dropped, you can barely see that all the cable above the ball had been taken in. The pic sure didn't look heavy enough. You could hear the engine laboring but not until the cable was all taken up then - pop! Also, the break looked really clean like it broke over the top sheave. It had to have been combination of poor operation and maintenance, IMO. Still, it's just a guess from the low quality of the image.

Cory, I won't claim they're the greatest outfit on earth. I can't say that for sure. But, that video seemed to capture the worst of things. I'm not 100% sure on how great or lousy their work situation is. They have nice iron, their own crane, and rock pretty hard in the land of monstrous hardwoods. They're not a startup operation either.

Well you ought to know if they're in your hood. Yeah maybe it was them at their worst, we all have those days or those jobs. But between the dude saying the bucket guy is totally crazy, while he's just making a simple topping cut, and the leader wasting the truck, it was bad.

Any tree service that has their own crane of 23t or bigger, respect.

Good guess on the cable break, Jack. I have done that a few times myself on the small UNICs, not breaking but banging, looking at the load and not paying attention. No real danger there besides feeling like a dork. A waring sound would be essential on a big rig, or in the least an always alert operator..

People should have died here. Lucky bastards!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kYB9K45VVkg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The man literally had no idea the danger he was putting all those people in, not to mention himself..... :|::\:
Ayuh, those people are very fortunate to still be walking around.

Here is a pic of me when a crane cable broke on a tower job I was working. I was just about to go up in that man basket when it snapped on the test pic.

That's two bullets you've dodged Nick... The angels must think you have something worth doing with your life.. Don't let them down.. Glad you're still around ....

I've worked with Bauman before... its been 5+ years. He used to run 6 cranes specializing in tree work.. That's a good lesson for anyone that thinks they can trust their lives to a cable..
The owner freaked on my contract climber, when its was the owner's mistake and nothing my climber could do.... then he started packing up in the middle of a $4,000 takedown.. SO I had to do the rest of the climbing.. Last top of the day, I set the sling and made the cut where the owner told me... piece rolled, (close enough to piss a guy off) and the outriggers lifted about 2'... That was it.. never used them again...

Also seen Parenti's trucks around, and met Bob Hastings... Bad rigging to trust that weakly crotched lead.. Bucket was maxed and he wanted to take the top without jumping.... very do-able with a proper set up.

Seems like when he tried to push it over against the lean with his hand, it was a sign of bad things to come.

Back