Trees and Septic Systems

Nutball

TreeHouser
Post your experiences about trees and doing tree work around septic systems.

I don't know where the leach field is, but I know I had a big 3' DBH poplar growing just feet away from the tank with many other 30 year old trees planted nearby. Some of them were recently removed, and I could smell sewage while grinding the stumps. I'm surprised we haven't noticed any issues with the septic system considering how the trees were likely planted right on top of everything. Maybe roots shy away from sewage, but I doubt it.

When was the last time the tank was inspected? I am sure it's full of roots. Here tanks and leach fields are below the frost line so root intrusion is minimal but it does happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How low is the frost line? The tank got pumped 8 years ago I think. It took it 15-20 years to back up, and now we use Lenzyme, and it will get pumped again soon.

The surface area of any Leach field should be Grass and mown minimum annually ... Tank probably could only get root penetration if it's old and beat. Have had Maple roots completely plug a perimeter drain through an old excavator wound on top. Dig up and replace.

How low is the frost line? The tank got pumped 8 years ago I think. It took it 15-20 years to back up, and now we use Lenzyme, and it will get pumped again soon.
Frost line here is four foot minimum. And here in wisco it has to be pumped every three years. Inspected on sale of the propeety but I do an inspection or I should say have it inspected every pumping. It's $250 well spent considerong the $18k to replace. I would have it inspected more often if it was an older system.

I’ve had folks claim that tree roots penetrated PVC sewage lines. Hard to see how they’d do that, but I didn’t argue.

Most roots have serious trouble trying to penetrating compacted soil let alone something even less permeable.

However, give them an opening, and they can most definitely exploit it.

The smallest little gap and roots can get in pipes so bad it will completely shut down flow. It's crazy how little is needed to get in a pipe.

Back