Transplanting A Japanese Maple

lxskllr

Treehouser
I have some Japanese maples coming up here and there. The ones I'm interested in are seedlings atm. They're currently sheltered under my driveway cedars, but obviously can't stay there. Usually, I'd think now would be the best time to put them in their forever home, but I'm concerned the exposure over winter will kill them. What's the best strategy for handling these?

We have a forestry planting saying in Denmark: " Hvad du planter om foråret kan gro, hvad du planter om efteråret vil gro"

What you plant in spring may grow, what you plant in fall will grow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, move it now... Think a pile of leaves on top or something would be prudent? Help protect against freeze damage? It's not exactly the great frozen north here, but we can get periods(shorter these days) of pretty harsh cold.

Thanks guys! I'll move it tomorrow. I'd do it now, but I'm getting ready to head over to mom's.

We moved ours last March when we bought the new house. It was only in place at the old house for a year. Ideally I would’ve liked to dig it up when it was still colder, but we hadn’t closed on the place.
We just tried to get as big of a root/soil ball as possible and slid it around on a big snow shovel. Don’t disturb the roots too much, try to prevent damage. Common sense stuff.
She’s doing well, leaves fell off a couple weeks ago. Still a bit young to do much pruning I think. I want another one somewhere, and probably a couple chestnut trees. Big bare front yard, there’s just a sugar maple that’s in bad shape.
00A273B4-5D03-4B62-B31F-E13B20D0816F.jpeg

Well, shit ... I lost the tree I wanted to move. The leaves fell off, and I can't see the stem amongst the other stuff. I moved choice B, so we'll see how it does. Bad start so far. Had trouble getting it out, and ended with a completely bare tree. It's in the ground, and I guess I'll know how it made out once spring gets here...

20211126_112246.jpg

Back