The Farrier's horse and the shoemaker's kids.

The thing I do miss about taking the Maple here (two more Cherry next to the house coming down too) ... is the Birds , though I have had feeders off and on here it's been mostly off due to feeding Rodentia , site work and slope put the main windows in the back with perfect view up close into the canopy at about fourty feet height. Much good easy Birding ... once watched a Red Tail Hawk eat the entire contents of a Robin's nest , adult Robin displayed angry freaked out defensive behavior while the Hawk dined ...

So, re-reading this, more than anything, I am struck by the age of your house. American is such a young country, seeing old houses from the 1800’s would be a rare sight. Can you post a picture of it?
Are my commas correct? 🧐

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best I can do is this:

The house is nothing special, build ovcer several periodes by poor people.
I have rebuild most of it in the almost 30 years, I've lived here.
The roof was originally thatched, that was changed just after WW2, I rebuilt the whole upper part in 2006 with a shingle roof and put 2 rooms in.
I changed the property a LOT, too.
The only trees when I bought it were the 3 birches across from the house, the big Horse chestnut and the ancient apple tree behind the house.
Everything else was grain field to 30 inches from the buildings.

So all the outbuildings are by me and everything growing, also.

Quite a project.

We bought it for a little over 100 grand, the bank just revalued it last month at 550 grand.
So it sure paid off.

Last edited:
Nice spot out there. I like the Scandinavian design aesthetic. Reminds me a bit of Japanese. Cool hedge garden.

It is hanging on.
We planted a replacement to the opposite side of where the old one is going to fall.
The frigging Roe deer tried to eat it for lunch, so I had to fence it.
Not a benefit of training your dog to not chase wildlife!!!

2023-06-23 21.30.03.jpg

No!
But now that you brought it up, I will.
Thanks.

Do you have wood under the large outbuilding which has no sides? And do you have an outdoor wood pile next to it? I couldnt fully see it all. Great vid

Lotta wood! :rockhard: 8)

Just curious what determines what wood goes where?

When I turned semi professinally and milled, there were lots of thick boards and blanks stored under the back part of that shed. Stuffed to the top in fact.
I sold all that when I thought I was moving to Schweiz, and it paid for my "honeymoon" in Western US in 2014.

Now the mower and other stuff recides there.
The front half is for firewood.
Holds enough for 2 years.
I get my wood when we log in the forest behind my property.
Pay the woman, who drives the forwarder to drive over my back field and deliver it right next to the shed.
Doesn't happen often, so I get a LOT!! Gotta take advantage of the situation.

Hence the outdoor stack.

Gotta love shed side delivery!

Is said forest visible in the vid?

Right behind the yellowish field behind the house.
That is just the narrow tip of it, it gets bigger going left in the picture.

So, re-reading this, more than anything, I am struck by the age of your house. American is such a young country, seeing old houses from the 1800’s would be a rare sight. Can you post a picture of it?
Are my commas correct? 🧐
Not to brag, but I was raised in a home that was built in 1650 on Main Street in Hingham, MA on what used to be an old native american trading path. It was the home of Edward Wilder, a clock maker, and my parents still have original clocks made by both him and his son Joshua Wilder. If you know where to look, there are plenty of older homes in the US. My house had five fireplaces in it, all connected to one central chimney, with one of them that was particularly large intended for cooking. The walls were insulated with horsehair. It was the oldest house of the town and one of the oldest in the country. I could go on. My point is that the East Coast of the US is littered with 1800s era homes and buildings. Especially in towns and cities with historical districts and commissions which ensure that they all get preserved.

Last edited:
Back