The Farrier's horse and the shoemaker's kids.

This is my first apartment after moving out of mom's. I lived in the second story of the orange place. It was yellow when I was there. Loved that place, and my landlord was cool too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@stig Excellent drone footage. You are a good pilot. What kind of drone do you fly? How long have you been doing that?
Never!

An old apprentice of mine did that.
The mail order bride wanted to show the folks back home, that the guy, she was sold to, at least provided her with a nice place to live.
Since land is extremely expensive in Schweiz, because most of it is near vertical, they were quite impressed.

Last edited:
Only because you care, no commas needed in that sentence.;)
The mail order bride wanted to show the folks back home, that the guy, she was sold to, at least provided her with a nice place to live.

The mail order bride wanted to show the folks back home that the guy to whom she was sold at least provided her with a nice place to live.

That's good too but Imo Stig's sentence, sans commas, is slightly better.

Fun fact about commas: The longest sentence in the English language ends Jonathan Coe's The Rotter's Club, having 13,955 words and taking up 33 pages. Needless to say, there were lots of commas involved. :lol:

Fun fact: The longest sentence WITHOUT commas, you ask? Published in 1964, Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age by Czech author Bohumil Hrabal is a 117- page run-on sentence. You read that right – there is no punctuation, no chapters, no breaks.

Last edited:
That's a nice 'Castle Stig' you've got there mate!
I think you need a moat and a drawbridge to complete. :lol:

I'll dig one when I retire.
Should keep me from dying of boredom.
Retirement is, indeed, one of the number one killers of older people. Numerous studies have been done to this effect. Having many years of "purpose" planned before one retires is paramount to overcoming this life-threatening obstacle.

Money probably helps, too.

@Mrs.B That's not really a variable so much as all of the variables. Besides, most people die from complications or ailments versus passing from old age without any medical issues. But one could make the argument that those complications and ailments arise as a complication of old age in general. Hence my first sentence..

Last edited:
I was agreeing with you. But my point was explaining that, using your approach, you aren't isolating any variables. You've found a way to give credit to them all. The number one cause of death in old people, if we isolate one variable, is likely heart disease. Cancer is responsible for 1/5 of all deaths. Stroke is another big cause.

Talking about "isolating" factors:
You talk about "Old people" as they were one thing.
There is one Hell of a difference between an obese old American and an old Okinawan, who gets up every morning and does his Karate work out.

@stig No, I'm referring to one group: People over 65. Period. It's obviously going to differ regionally and if we organized the people by their activity levels, of course it would differ. Actually, in many cases the results will be the same perhaps. I'm referring to all of the data as a whole.

People who are bored after retirement must have a serious lack of imagination.

I retired at 58 and have had at least as much fun these last dozen years as I did any other dozen in my life...and more than most of them.

But Stig is absolutely right about the money thing...without enough financial resources, the stress will surely kill you before your time, as well as undermine the potential fun factor.

Last edited:
Retirement nearly killed my Dad, after a lifetime of work he couldn’t adjust to not having to be somewhere and do something at the same time every day.
Having serious heart problems didn’t help.
Eventually after recovery he started working 2/3 days a week as a gardener, easy stuff really, just for beer money.
Worked till he was 77.

Yeah, I think a post retirement plan is a must. I'm in that planning mode currently but have a ways to go to really figure it out. The good thing is, I don't really think I have a lot of complicated financial issues to work through since I have been saving since I started working.

Back