TCIA Folly

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I was reading the recent TCIA rag and was drawn to the article on negative blocking and risk mitigation.

In the second page while discussing lanyards they warn about using choked lanyards:
"In their basic form lanyards do not cinch tight to the spar pole. Care should be taken to be sure the lanyard stays engaged when cutting. A loose lanyard can fall into the path of the running saw or release from the pole entirely if it bounces over the top"

Now, I might not be an expert but falling to me means 'moving in the direction of gravity, aka down'... SO if you are negative blocking and your lanyard were in a position where it could FALL into the path of the saw, that means that your lanyard was above where you were cutting.

You see where this is going by now....If you are attached above where you cut, well we call that a FUBAR.

I would have thought the TCIA would have had a better handle on this kind of stuff eh?

http://www.tcia.org/Digital_Magazine/TCI_Magazines_2012/TCI-Magazine-April-2012/index.htm
Page 29 Paragraph 2
Screen shot 2012-04-08 at 8.11.25 PM.jpg

Could be referring to still being tied off above while cutting the face prior to the last cut. Once the face cut is made, move your TIP down under the cut for your safety line. Then proceed with your back cut after you are tied in proper and the piece is finished rigged with the rigging rope.

I think they're nuggin futs! My tie-ins are always below my cut; they would have to fall up to hit my cutters.

I mean, just look!

16020df.jpg

My take would be they meant to say the lanyard could bounce up into the saw... the same as it could bounce over the top of the spar.

jmho

At the train stations here now, they have relocated the smokers to one small area on the platforms. You can see them all standing around a tall ash tray thing in a cloud, very close to each other but not wanting to make eye contact with strangers, so they are all gazing off into the distances. It looks strange, and more than anything else, it looks like a bunch of slaves. I don't understand why people want to do that.

The bad thing about this forum is that there are a lot of people that will follow the leader when going off topic, having the same enthusiasm as with the on topic subject. Like Lemmings, I'm afraid. Maybe it's a few people. :lol:

By leader, I meant the first person starting a derail, bad descriptive. A reason why derails happen and continue, is that the subject first introduced isn't getting much in the way of posts to keep it going. One reason why way back when I suggested...or more like enquired, if the person starting a thread should maybe take a continued hand in guiding it? My concept didn't get much approval, it seemed like it would call for a certain seriousness or effort that wasn't wanted, was my take on the responses. Still, some folks here seem to on purpose help a thread to keep going or stay focused, after starting it, I do to some extent. Generally if the subject is one that has folks contributing about it, the derails are self correcting.

Back