Stihl 101 pole saw

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Another local tree guy called me up and asked if I wanted to buy a Stihl 101 pole saw off of him for $250. I went over today to look at it and it started up and ran perfectly. However when we extended it out, the chain wouldn't spin around the bar when the engine reved up. The chain would spin by hand, just not by the engine. Does anyone have any idea why that might happen?

He wouldn't sell it to me until he brought it in to a Stihl dealer to be looked at. The guy is honest but I don't want to waste $250 on something that has serious problems coming soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Take the head off, if the square "speedometer" drive is turning when it is revving then the problem is the head.
If it doesn't turn it is a broken drive or, as happened to me, it has come out of the power unit.
Possibly the head has been taken off and when being put back on it has not been slipped down fully on to the drive.
(Best case scenario)

Yep check the head and see if it pulled out a bit and is not engaging. I have a 101 they are nice but heavy and a smidge underpowered, good for storm damage.

I love the way Andrew's english translates! That last line is a peach, sounds like old English english, but oh so correct! :)

Eric, In my opinion you would have a hard time wasting $250 on that purchase no matter what. You didn’t mention it looking abused. If it’s a broken drive shaft they are around $60, if it’s gears in the saw head I think they may be $80 (replace whole head for $125).

I have used extendable pole saws for about 10 years now and rarely go to a job without one. Have a new 101 waiting in the wings for light weight when my first polesaw (an HT 73) finally dies, and have an HT 131 and it’s replacement for pulling longer cuts in bigger wood (14 in. bar on those.)

On ebay they routinely sell so close to the $600 new price tag that I can’t believe people are looking at the same pictures I am let alone wondering if they had the correct mix of gas run through them.

Oh-and you can break all the rules and put a hedger head on it for tall hedges with small dia. material.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the input. I have never used one of these (any brand) so I am not familiar. It looks like I will buy it after he gets it looked at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ha, HT101 new here is $1450! I've often wondered what postage would be to get one from the US...anyone?

Here being Tasmania? One seller on Ebay offering one, says about $180 to Australia from Florida by international priority. No shipping listed to Bermuda there, but I rough calculated using the cheapest FedEx rate chart to Bermuda for around mid to high $200 plus, ticking on $300. I figured 11kg large box from the eastern seaboard. In a calculating mood. :)

Yeah, here is Tasmania for now...thanks for the lead...I baulk at $1400.

Some people rather look down their noses at pole pruners.
I've had one for many years, essential piece of kit IMO. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Well, does having an extendable polesaw look like it will make money for you?

Also, I forgot to mention that I use a small square, soft padded cooler as an engine cover to keep mine from getting beaten up in the truck. One has a bowling ball bag as a cover.

Back