Spot the design error

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could install a new oil hole.
The chain goes slack after a few cuts. Things a piece. I got my money back but was able to keep the pole saw. I’ll get a brush cutter attachment because the power head is a nice 42cc and the shaft is well made. The bar is Oregon. Go figure. Bought a homeowner grade Stihl pole saw. It’s fine for my occasional use.

I think that would just let the oil leak through to the erroneous hole in the other side, no? No solid plate to keep it in the bar groove

I'm not sure how much that matters. The WoodlandPro bars I get for my small saws have holes all over them. It's kind of a universal fit. They seem to oil the chain fine even though there's plenty of opportunity for leakage.

You can make a plate, Lowes should have a thin steel plate in the random stuff drawer in the screw aisle. The cover might stop it from leaking all the way out anyway, otherwise you have to stop and add oil to the chain every big cut, or every 10 little cuts and let it soak into the groove. I know, I've done it. What brand/model is that pruner? The felt sided Stihl ones have a hollow bar stud that flows oil into the cover and into the regular bar hole.

Maybe so, I dunno about that...but what I see is that the holes designed to carry oil from the oiler are on the opposite sides of the bar from the oiler port. Looks like the bar would isolate the oil from getting out anywhere.

Last edited:
Well, it isn't a 041 mount, looks like a Stihl mount. I just know the 041 bars don't even have a normal oil hole because the oil goes through the tensioner hole. Another question would be: if the tensioner holes don't open into the bar groove, does the plastic cover have a pocket that directs oil from the tensioner hole up into the oil hole?

And what's with the new left side bar mount thing on new Stihl pole saws anyway? They're starting to get as bad as Echo which uses mini bar nuts that take a special wrench (10mm I think).

From the pic, I'd say that the head itself is the problem. It's a mirror view of a regular chainsaw mounting, all is reversed, like what you get if it was a saw for left handed people. The mounting and oiling port are on the right side, where you expect usually the regular clutch cover here. This head should need a special reference for the bar. Wrong supply.

Last edited:
The thing it that I’m not sure if it’s the bar or saw head. The saw is a Proyama. I tied to get out for $260 seeing as it would get used 2-3 times a year. I got my money back on it and got to keep the saw since they don’t want to ship something with potential fuel in the tank. The Stihl pole saw I then purchased works well but was $400.

Nutball, I’ll look into the redirect on the plastic cover. Didn’t think about that. It does have that smaller mounting nut- just to make it a pain.

I think you dodged a bullet by getting your money back and getting a stihl.
amazon reviews are less than encouraging, its just a chinga piece of carp and would not be dependable.

I have one that is one of the early chinga clones like that, but was the higher end of the junk heap, it does the job, but the extension poles are thin walled, and easily bent, and once bent, are ruined.
The clips to hold the tubes in place bend and come undone, they have very basic bushes in the tubes, and I oiled them all, and went thru it, replaced the cheap fuel hoses, and grommet on the tank, for what it can do, every now and then, its ok for mr home owner on the weekend taking down that pesky 2" branch that overhangs the gutter.

The cutter head is just made of chinga plastic steel, and dont expect much from it, the other issue those things have, is the rubber oil hose from the tank to the bar pad, they perish in a very short time, and you cant get the parts/ hose to replace it = buying another cheaply made head, the covers for the bar are very weak plastic, and fall off regularly, even with the nut tight, and even when you put further washers and build it up, they just fall apart.

Get an echo, oleo mac, stihl, anything but those cheap clones, which will leave you stranded in the middle of a job when you really just need to get the job done.

I ended up getting a hedge trimmer attachement for it, and on an extension or two, is handy, but I dont depend on it, or expect it to be reliable, having said that, the power head has been surprisingly reliable after going over it and tidying up the poor assembly, it was a cheap garage sale find, so worth it just for that, but as said, not dependable on a job.

I figured I’d give the Chinga one a shot. Amazon will always give money back. I’m surprised I got to keep the unit AND get a refund though. It’s really well made and heavy duty until you get to the bar attachment section. A brush cutter head will be nice on the end of it. I figured I would very rarely use it since I’ve done 53 jobs without it but now that I have it it may come into play more. Although I’m really trying to develop my climbing, so, we’ll see.

Back