Spider lifts?

Billhowe1

Treehouser
I've made a decision to buy a spider lift at some point this year. I'm looking for opinions on all makes and models. My only real experience is renting a platform lift 18.90 from a friend of mine when I need it, but I'm sick of climbing and a lift would definitely increase production.

I've used Nifty Lifts and like them, one of our members here is a dealer for them in the US IIIRC?
Carl aka...i don't remember...oops.
I can rent and tow an 11m track drive spider, 15-18 would be ideal, but It would need a bigger truck than I have to tow it on its trailer.
Hope you've got a spare $100,000 tucked away or accessible, sure wish I did!
Basket rotate feature gives any lift an edge, if you can get one with that as well as jib it's worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've used Nifty Lifts and like them, one of our members here is a dealer for them in the US IIIRC?
Carl aka...i don't remember...oops.
I can rent and tow an 11m track drive spider, 15-18 would be ideal, but It would need a bigger truck than I have to tow it on its trailer.
Hope you've got a spare $100,000 tucked away or accessible, sure wish I did!
Basket rotate feature gives any lift an edge, if you can get one with that as well as jib it's worth it.
Oh I'm most definitely gonna have to take out a loan for it, but with no other debt than my mortgage I think it's pretty feasible

Ive heard only good re nifty lifts

We have a platform 72, it has been good to us.
Eric in service has walked us through our issues.
I don’t think there’s a perfect lift out there, but they get back to us quick when an issue comes up.

If I were able to go with a wider machine I’d look at the nifty.

93F4821E-A11C-4111-AB73-51A6FB0C2617.jpeg DE5B287C-5ABD-41FC-9E43-B456015A31A5.jpeg 68D4328E-0CB5-4FD9-B6CC-9549510F9419.jpeg
64396A89-988B-4C9C-8C5A-FB1B13A183DA.jpeg

I fly’s CMC 72 hd it’s been a good machine so far. But I think if I had to do it over a Patform Lift would be it. They all have their issues but they all make money easily.

I use the 109’ platform pretty regularly. I’d like something taller but we get a lot done with it. I never liked the nifty but I only have experience with the 50’ 4x4.

I use the 109’ platform pretty regularly. I’d like something taller but we get a lot done with it. I never liked the nifty but I only have experience with the 50’ 4x4.

Lots of reasons to not like the Nifty SD50 over the SD64.

"Opinions on all the lifts....."

After deciding what you want a lift to do for you (easiest way to rule lifts out of the running) it gets a lot simpler to look. For instance if the SD64 were tall enough and narrow enough for most of my work it would be a slam dunk decision as it looks so fast in getting to set up spots and etc. But alas....

I think it's definitely worth talking to Upequip about their Easy Lift models if any of them suit your needs. Their after sale support is legendary among the owners - quick call backs, diagnose by pictures, email, video. Work you through till you're up and running again. And their motto "simple inside" is a reference to no computers etc. All their safety sensors etc are switches and electrical impulse that can be checked for at point a, b, c. under their instruction. Back up and running, job done.

The other thing I would say is whatever lift brand or models in a brand you settle on try them out before buying one. I tried about five different brands and just using one for a few minutes demonstration was enough for me on some of them. Also even if you settle on one brand as a preference one model to another can be quite a bit different.

I'm annoyed by wind movement in a tree enough that some days I'll bag it and stop for the day if too windy. The 70 ft Easy Lift has a fair amount of sway at full side extension (30 ft or so). But the 101 foot model had far less at 48 feet of side extension. (The booms are shaped differently. )

"Opinions on all the lifts....."

After deciding what you want a lift to do for you (easiest way to rule lifts out of the running) it gets a lot simpler to look. For instance if the SD64 were tall enough and narrow enough for most of my work it would be a slam dunk decision as it looks so fast in getting to set up spots and etc. But alas....

I think it's definitely worth talking to Upequip about their Easy Lift models if any of them suit your needs. Their after sale support is legendary among the owners - quick call backs, diagnose by pictures, email, video. Work you through till you're up and running again. And their motto "simple inside" is a reference to no computers etc. All their safety sensors etc are switches and electrical impulse that can be checked for at point a, b, c. under their instruction. Back up and running, job done.

The other thing I would say is whatever lift brand or models in a brand you settle on try them out before buying one. I tried about five different brands and just using one for a few minutes demonstration was enough for me on some of them. Also even if you settle on one brand as a preference one model to another can be quite a bit different.

I'm annoyed by wind movement in a tree enough that some days I'll bag it and stop for the day if too windy. The 70 ft Easy Lift has a fair amount of sway at full side extension (30 ft or so). But the 101 foot model had far less at 48 feet of side extension. (The booms are shaped differently. )
Howdy, welcome back stranger.

It looks like I'm more than likely going with a platform lift 72'. I've had numerous people tell me nothing but good things about them, and I actually had a previous employer I'm still friends with offer for me to go out on one of his jobs and use it plus show me some of the tricks and quirks he's learned about it.

I absolutely don't mind working for him for a day for free, I've been meaning to get out his way anyway to catch up, we've been friends since 07

Anyone here ever heard of leguan lifts?
Leguan is made by Avant, same as my loader. They are super expensive and I haven't seen any in person. Service would be 'special order only' I imagine.

I remember years ago when Brett in Tampa bought one of the early Spider Lifts. When he had electrical issues they had to fly in somebody from Europe to work on it.

Holy crap, Alta equipment sells them, Avant, Toro and some others, my local toro dealer got me in touch with his rep there to demo a couple minis and she mentioned they have those lifts, they're off boggy creek in Orlando so it's not super far away for service I hope. I think I'll stick with platform or omme just for simplicity.

Platform lifts were the same way when they first came out. Mechanics would come over from somewhere in Europe. Now there are several company’s that service them.

I've made a decision to buy a spider lift at some point this year. I'm looking for opinions on all makes and models. My only real experience is renting a platform lift 18.90 from a friend of mine when I need it, but I'm sick of climbing and a lift would definitely increase production.
Yep, I'm a dealer for Nifty Lift... I use an SD64 for my tree work and it's the unit I sell the most of.

If I had to have narrow access 70', I'd go with a Platform Basket.

I’ve got an SD64 headed ~100 miles from you near Tampa. @Mellow is around 50 miles from you; he bought an SD64 from me going on 6 years ago.

I’ve got an SD64 headed ~100 miles from you near Tampa. @Mellow is around 50 miles from you; he bought an SD64 from me going on 6 years ago.
Are your niftys spiders or are they the bigger ones with wheels and outriggers? For me I really need a compact unit for tight areas more than anything and a minimum 55-60' working height

Back