Seeking Climber & Groundie, P/T. Olympia WA

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I have taken a F/T arborist job with Washington State. This leaves me working too many days a week.

Looking for someone for P/T climbing work.

Good spurless pruning skills, removal skills. Low impact, tight quarters work.

Safe attitude. Valid driver's license and clean record.
Need to be able to manage worksite. One groundie mostly.

Also, interested to find an experienced groundworker for occasional jobs.

If you know someone in the area please let them know.

Thanks,

Sean
360-584-5664

I like the way you've worded that Sean. There are plenty of climbers out there that don't fit that bill and you've eliminated them with a few choice words. I may advertise for climber later this summer when one of my guys might(hopefully) move away. Good luck with your search.

It sounds great and all, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but what exactly would this perfect climber/foreman get out of the deal that would be superior to running his own gig? Remember that almost every one who has all those skills will end up working for themselves rather than put up with some boss's shortcomings.

Jeff, Sean is in the pacific northwest chapter, not the western chapter of the ISA, just for the record.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all.

Brian, I hear you.

Could be a person that is running their own gig. Maybe even preferable. A contract climber would be fine.

Could be someone that want to come to work and work and get paid, no licensing/ insurance/ bonding, no paying for equipment/ repairs, no chasing jobs, knowing how much money you will take home at the end of the day.

BrendonV is good example of working part-time on his own business, and part time for someone else he's gone totally solo unbeknownst to me.

People can come in with some skills and want to learn new things. Skills and techniques are easier to teach than integrity, work ethic, etc. I'm willing to train somewhat for the right person, no doubt.

That's cool. I just wanted to see some attention paid to what your offer looks like from the other side. If I meet all your qualifications, then why would I want this job?

Lets play. I got a guy, Journey level in all aspects of tree care. CDL, CA, Forestry degree. Up to date with current industry trends. Track record of solid production in the region with an average of 700k a year with a 4 man crew.

So again, what do you have to offer an acceptable candidate. You know the person who will be running your company while you work for the state.
$$?

People can come in with some skills and want to learn new things. Skills and techniques are easier to teach than integrity, work ethic, etc. I'm willing to train somewhat for the right person, no doubt.

:thumbup:

....these are some words I'd like to hear in my country too. Very difficult here finding an old dog willing to teach his tricks...oh well...unless you don't want to work for a coke and a piece of bread ;)

What do you want to play? "How much is this guy worth to me"?

I figure that I'll be running my company while working for the state. If the business stays full-time, while I work full-time, I'll have to adjust to that.

I'd be happy for someone to have CDL, though I have a non-CDL dump truck/ chipper combo.

I'm far from a 1/4 of that production, and typically run 1, and sometimes 2 groundmen. For the last year I've been happy enough with one employee.

The forestry degree wouldn't help me really.

By and large, the residential work that I do is nothing super fancy. Helps to be a good climber, rigger, and feller, but I rarely do crane jobs due to inaccessibility/ small crew, and people willing to do removals somewhat cheaply. Storm damage is a different can of worms, as you surely know.

I guess I offer the person a paycheck, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, a relatively safe work environment all things considered. An expectation to do high quality work, safely, with good coworkers for reasonable compensation.

How is that?

That's all I get.

Lets play. I got a guy, Journey level in all aspects of tree care. CDL, CA, Forestry degree. Up to date with current industry trends. Track record of solid production in the region with an average of 700k a year with a 4 man crew.

So again, what do you have to offer an acceptable candidate. You know the person who will be running your company while you work for the state.
$$?
You arent talking about the hobbit dude are ya Dave? :D

This is the second time that Sean has posted an ad here. There aren't a ton of guys on the Westside who frequent the site here. I can only surmise that he is hoping that one of us can pass the word to a likely candiddate.

Therefore, for me, I need a bit more info than the cryptic jargon of room for advancement, blah, blah, blah. I have a few great guys I could refer.

I was under the impression after talking with Ethan that he was going to be in Boise soon. So Darin, life could get a lot easier for you.

Yes, Dave, I'm hoping someone knows someone that is a contract climber or looking for part time work, be it because they are running their own business, or a part time parent, or relocating, or only want to work part-time, so long as its not because they have to serve a sentence with work release for stealing from their boss, or have rehab 3 days a week.

There are lurkers that don't post, as well.

I'm fine to hire someone, as opposed to being a contract climber, extending and paying for the insurances (w/c, unemployment, commercial auto, gen liability) and taxes, or hire them as a sub, if I can do it legally where we are all protected.

What I can say is that I'm figuring out what I need and what I can/ will offer on a case by case basis.

If someone is a solid safe spur climber, I can readily teach them spurless DdRT/ SRT. Pruning is teachable, too, starting with the more basic things, working up to more advanced.

If someone wants to get their CA, I'll support it/ fund it as I can, CEU's likewise. If there is a longer term commitment and they want T.R.A.C.E., its possible. I can't fork over what now sounds like thousands for a CDL training, especially since I don't have a CDL rig.

Last year's revenue was under 100k with 2 guys, in my third (and a half) year of business, so I'm not at the point of med/ dental, 401K, now.

If they are selling jobs, it would be either as no commission/ getting hourly pay/ work vehicle/ work gas/ work insurance, or would work something out as a %. I'm inexperienced with having someone else selling jobs. I've been training Erik on some bidding up to this point. In the past, there has been a finder's fee for work. Erik go 5% for bringing in his neighbor's job this past Friday. I still bid it/ sold it. I felt like this was fair. You all??

Had I not been taking this job with the state, I would have been working toward a mini-skid grapple, with a rental machine to start, seeing where that tool helped or not, then looked into a used mini. Also, on the list would have been working toward a Wraptor.

Right now I have a sub with two tractors with grapple buckets, and a small knuckleboom for loading, small crane jobs. A local crane op has a 22T Manitex, and the Snell Crane has the big boys. I haven't worked with Snell before, as I wasn't awarded the jobs that would have necessitated bigger crane power and allowed bigger crane set-up space.

I like the idea of getting more machine power to do more of the work. Its a work in progress.

If its possible to have a 2-3 person crew running full-time, then there would be more options for having someone become (and be compensated for) more of a manager than climber overseeing the jobsite/ climber-foreman.

At this point, I'm not looking at getting someone to relocate from across the country, putting all their eggs in my basket. If someone were to want to move from out of the area, I'd be willing to call a few people that I know to see if they need a PT climber to fill out the new hire's week, but don't know of anything like that being available now.

Pay/ comp is negotiable. I'm not looking to get something for nothing.

$700K with a 4 man crew? That's pretty huge numbers, imo. Thats like $3100+ every day. Hard to believe, but if that is accurate, that must be a heckuva tree crew working with a kick ass salesman.

$700K with a 4 man crew? That's pretty huge numbers, imo. Thats like $3100+ every day. Hard to believe, but if that is accurate, that must be a heckuva tree crew working with a kick ass salesman.

Big Boy rules Cory. It ain't for everybody, for sure isn't attainable without sacrifice.
Out here with the competition and high amount of shoemakers in the biz, If a guy isnt averaging 2500.00 a day he isn't making money.

So again, Sean. No more wiggling, what is it worth to you if a candidate meets ALL of your stated desires? You've given every permutation of "benefits" except for the most important. How much cabbage, you know $$, that stuff that is commonly used in commerce?

Just lost a long post to try to answer your questions. I'll have to retype it later.

I appreciate constructive criticism. I'm a first time small business owner with a few years under my belt at both the residential work and the ownership parts. Working to improve all the time.

I've got to get to some bids and home landscaping projects.

From my perspective, if I was to leave the day to day part of my small company and want to find someone to replace me, it would be a wash. The replacement for me wouldnt do it for any less than I would, financially or otherwise. The only thing that would happen is hopefully the company would continue to run and if it expanded, I would possibly be able to reap some gravy from the deal. I think this is a good example of an owner operator vs an owner only.
If you are looking for a climber / supervisor and you will still be doing sales, answering the phone and emails, billing, collection etc, then a climbers wage and bennies should suffice, so long as they also recognise any supervisory or other responsibilities involved.

Out here with the competition and high amount of shoemakers in the biz, If a guy isnt averaging 2500.00 a day he isn't making money.

Heavy competition and shoemakers make for less daily take, not more, right? Not sure what you mean by that sentence. What are big boy rules? And averaging $2500 a day is about 20% less than $3100 a day.
I agree few significant things are attainable without serious sacrifice/commitment.

Back