Rough starting saw

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
My Jonsered 2152 is giving me fits right now when I am trying to get it started. It doesn't matter if it's warmed up or not. I can't start the thing unless I drop start it at full throttle. Even then it is difficult to get going at times. Choking it or not doesn't seem to make any difference either. Once it's started it runs perfectly. It's idles perfectly, it revs up perfectly, cuts wood as it always has. It just sucks starting it.

Does anyone have any possible solutions that I can try myself? I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination so it's got to be simple. Today I cleaned it up real good and put a new spark plug in it since it hasn't had a new one in over a year. I haven't tried it out yet.

It's not worth it to me to bring it in because any repair will be 1/3 of a new saws cost. Buts its also not worth much to me running like this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

About 90 percent of the time it's a funky carb .Dang ethanol fuel puckers the diaphragms and they just don't do right .They either won't suck fuel or they fail open and flood .

Fact just tonight I took in an 024 Stihl that has a bad carb and floods .I got the SOB started after much effort but it won't restart without a fight .It's ten dollar fix for a rebuild kit .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I could try that but our saw gas has been ethanol free for several years now.... At least the past 2.

Would a bad carb explain hard starting but good performance after its started?

Well once you get it started the pressure changes within the crankcase and the diaphragm relies on crankcase pressure .Once you loose pressure the diaphragm collapses down on the fuel lever and tries the fill the crankcase full of fuel .Which of course it can't .Just enough to drown the plug and cause you fits .

Fact the one I fiddled with this evening I had to pull the muffler to get enough flow over the top of the cylinder to blow out the excess gas before it cleared itself enough to start ,The pot licker ran good but of course with no muffler loud enough to raise the dead .

Trim the limiter tabs and richen up the "L" side of the carb, Husky's are cold blooded and like a little more gas to get started.

If it is hard to pull over:
Get the plug out and see if there is scoring on cylinder walls, carbon build up or something else disturbing.
Put a new CORRECT plug in and see if it helps.

If it bogs down when accelerating it needs more fuel on low circuit. If it goes up in rpm without hesitation it is OK.
If it reacts little or not to carb setting fuel system need attention or you have a leak.

I'm thinking along the lines of what Al said, some problem with the carb.. It could be as simple as a stiff diaphragm. More serious problems seem to affect the way a saw runs as well, it will die or you have to keep messing with the settings, which isn't the case here. I've had fits sorting out an ignition going bad, but that usually isn't indicated by just a starting problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some of what was said must have been in Latin because I didn't understand a word of it. :D
I will try a few suggestions and see what happens. Otherwise I might have a new parts saw.

I was monkeying around with the saw a little today and didn't get anything solved. I did notice that after using the saw and setting it down for several minutes, the primer bulb was always empty. I don't remember this being the case before. Does that mean anything?

It usually mean fuel can't get to it. Clogged filter, bad hose or faulty primer bulb.
If that is clean as new pump is not working. usually due to a part of membrane that act as valve is not shut so pressure can't be built up.
A no longer tight main inlet valve can cause this too...

I pulled the fuel filter off today and it started like a champ. I am going to put a new one on as soon as I get one. Anyone know if a Stihl fuel filter will work? I'm guessing they are standard across the different brands. It's a filter for a MS 290.

Thanks for all the help!

My experience is that other filters will work, but I haven't changed around many. I haven't ever seen a filter go bad beyond some dirt in there, aside from the one i found melted in an old saw. It looked like an old piece of chewing
gum. :|:

It is not standard across brands, it is invidual to models, but there are filters that work generally in many models.

Weight, size, flow, connections has to be close enough or the same.

That could happen. I think some pumps have filters on them. I know when I get diesel delivered there is no filter on the delivery truck. A coarse screen.

I looked through an inline filter on a John Deere lawn tractor. Screen like on a window. What's that gonna keep out?

I think you can figure that there must be dirt in the underground tanks at gas stations that collects over the years. I worked at a station when in high school and there was never any mention of cleaning the tanks. I don't recall if when they get pumped dry if there is still some residual gas down there. I think it is seldom that they get pumped dry unless some panic is going on.

I can't believe that this is the first time in 12 years that this happened to one of my saws. With as dusty and dirty as our work sites are, I would think this should be common.

Back