Rope Ends , my best method

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...had a thread awhile back when trying to cut neat ends w out buying stuff. People say a little tape and a lighter , voila ! ....personally despise the mushroom shape ... Used an old porcelain electric fence insulator (The big round kind that can be a corner or continuous) . Friction tape line tight , then cut w knife. Push cut off end through the insulator. I cut a slot in some scrapwood placing the rest of rope below. Torch into it till it seals. Wait then remove. Resulting rope end is small tight even beautiful. Prob pull easier as well. Was so happy I resealed several ropes.

I tape it, cut halfway through the taped area, then super glue the freshly exposed cut. The tape will come off soon enough, but the seal will be permanent.

Using the lighter methods requires you to smooth out/feather the melt to stop that mushroom development.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...project started when old reliable 120' got a deep nick from a pole saw while trimming a deflecting branch pulling a Dead White Birch... recycling , made three slings from the short end and will still use the long piece. So far have done neat small ends w High Vee , The Fly , Blaze , Tachyon , and Dacron 3 strand.

I melt then lightly tap with a hammer when cooling. It's an advanced hammer technique, but too many burned fingers trying to smooth out the hot shroom.

Shrink tube, the good stuff with the glue inside. I'll slide a 6" piece up the rope to where the cut will be, heat'er up, let cool then slice with a piece of copper wire in place of the soldering tip in the gun. Works good on styrofoam too.

I have used the hot knife method as well. Porcelain insulator method is faster and easier , with the same propane it takes to get the knife hot for one cut ten ends are sealed w perfect shape.

I'm not following the process,easily accomplished,pictures? XD

...first tape tight below cut. Second make cut. Third with twisting motion force the cut end through insulator. Fourth is drop through slot in plywood to protect the rest of the rope. Rope weight holds it in place while plumbers torch is applied to end of rope till fused. Wait a minute to cool then twist and pull to remove a sweet rope end and that won't catch or bind and should last the life of the rope.

I prefer a hot knife.

EngleHSG-0sm.JPG

These days I mostly let Richard's new pup chew them ragged.
Eventually I'll go back to taping them, then cutting them with a hot knife.

I use a blowtorch and then tap it out, if I'm honest it doesn't work very well.
My ropes just get shorter and shorter. Until I buy new ones.

...first tape tight below cut. Second make cut. Third with twisting motion force the cut end through insulator. Fourth is drop through slot in plywood to protect the rest of the rope. Rope weight holds it in place while plumbers torch is applied to end of rope till fused. Wait a minute to cool then twist and pull to remove a sweet rope end and that won't catch or bind and should last the life of the rope.

I think i get it! Is the insulator shaping your heated end?
Am i the only person who whips dem shitz?

Double braid i will pull the cover over core and seal the jacket together in a flat manner. Sometimes i back splice them also,all others are whipped

Back