River Birch Topping

BeerGeek

Tree Numbnutz
So, I've got a potential client with an interesting request. They have 5, multi-stemmed river birches around their pool, ranging from 60-80 ft high. Trees are dropping massive amounts of fruit this year, and have clogged/damaged their pool workings a few times. They would like all 5 to be completely cut back about 75%, stems and all, and then prune the remaining (as they like the privacy they provide around the fence in the back). Would those that know better than I agree that this is a workable option, or should I just recommend total take downs? I did see this post from @Burnham about a river birch he claimed to have "topped the snot out of one" (Topping Harms Trees - https://masterblasterhome.com/threads/topping-harms-trees.17635/post-637771) and had come out nicely with future pruning, but not sure about trees this advanced in size/age potential..

I'd fill the pool and add more birches :^D

Sounds to me like the trees are a bad match for the location. I'd give some consideration to a removal/replant if they really want the trees gone.

You'll be back sooner with the topping job, which will be difficult to protect the bottom 25% from the top 75% being brought down.
They won't die overnight. They will sprout vigorously and randomly.

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

The one I "topped the snot out of" was much smaller/younger...for what that's worth. Maybe 3 or 4 inches diameter and 15ish feet tall. It's now more than twice that big and has a nice single stem...though it does bow over in a graceful arch. Not my favorite tree, but the birds like it, and the foliage is beautiful in fall colors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
4 of the five trees are against the fence at the back of the property. As stated, all very large (the development they are in is about 30-40 years old; the developers planted a ton of these). The 4 against the fence are up on a rock abutment, adding to the challenge. I advised them that take down might be more prudent, but they want to try and keep them. Thanks for all the comments so far:

65 foot twin stem near house; stems are about 16' diameter:
IMG_20200613_171433213_HDR.jpg

pictures of interiors of 2 biggest along fence:

IMG_20200613_165556060_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200613_170707912_HDR.jpg

shots of the pool and rock abutment behind it, adding to the fun; also, the pool has fountain jets all around, and light fixtures all over the place, making it all the more entertaining:

IMG_20200613_171420954_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200613_171410006_HDR.jpg

Understanding the nature of the species is helpful in deciding a rash type of pruning. Some trees (like Birch), decay quickly and topping results in creating a dangerous tree. Now I don't ever recomend topping as a treatment for a quality tree but there are instances where (if the other option is removal), topping may be an answer to keeping a tree. Nothing is black or white in this business.

They would be far smarter and better served by getting a pool cover, and using it. Topping trees does not reduce the mess.

People really need to have better appreciation for established trees and landscapes.

If there are any vertical stems, I'd leave those untouched. Then aggressively top the other stems, leaving the vertical one to eventually turn into a real tree.

River birch is a gorgeous mature tree, almost never see one though because they are always planted in awful clumps!

Back