RIP Marco Simoncelli

Thor's Hammer

Wolfish. Sometimes Bites.
A week after the tragic death of Indycar champion Dan Wheldon, I nearly cried when I heard the news about rising GP1 star Marco Simoncelli.

RIP Sideshow Bob, Speedy Sic. You made motorbike racing exciting again.

:'(

If only he had slid out like usually happens. So tragic. It went badly for the rider that hit him as well, though there was nothing he could do. The rider to their right who was also involved and managed to stay on his bike while exiting the track, that took skills.
It definitely takes intelligence to race at those speeds.

Another freak and sad accident for sure! I hope some changes can be implemented to stop some of these.

I don't see that there can be a lot done to help prevent a situation like Marco had. It wasn't an equipment problem, unless something with the tires. Has anyone suggested to slow the bikes down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bikes are going from 800 to 1000cc next year. Definitely not going slower. Poor Marco, I still cant believe he's dead:cry::cry::cry:

Rest in peace Super Sic. we'll miss you
And about safety...I don't know what can be done to protect the neck.not much I guess.
Maybe they should do something about the tires or the electronic part, but I am not an expert so...

It gets pretty fine up to the edge of losing control during the higher intensity parts of a race. Sometimes with the back of the bikes sliding around, etc., they are just that close. Toying with the risk lies the great skill and excitement of watching it.

Attachments

• 58_marco_simoncelli_guide_official_right_original.jpg
    58_marco_simoncelli_guide_official_right_original.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 46
marco-simoncelli-anteprima-400x250-500383.jpg

marco_simoncelli_campione.jpeg

marco_simoncelli_coriano_rimini1_large.jpg

Thanks Marcello. Sad to think we won't see him race again. It feels like Imola 1994 all over again. :(

This is how I'll remember Marco, a hard charging gladiator
marco-simoncelli-slide.jpg

Gladiator. I like it Tim. great pic.

Would have been world champion one day? Must be totally devastating for his family.

He was already the 250cc world champion. As a big bloke, I think he was slightly disadvantaged compared to a lot of the tiny riders out there. I think the switch to 1000cc bikes would have suited him.

No, is that japanese movie? I remember I heard about it , but never had the chance to see it.
I'm reading about it now on Wiki.

A dead rider laying out on the track, the terrible side of motor sports....

The articles by his father and Swantz are quite moving. Marco's father seems like a strong man, and fortunate to have had the gift of a good son.

Yes. In it, there is is a scene of all the dead air pilots of Italy and Austria flying high to heaven in their planes. Very moving, and your picture of super sic reminded me of that.

The death of Marco has been hard for all the italian people....don't know really why
Maybe because even if he was famous and rich and everything he was still a young simple honest boy.

Back