Reccomendations for a lap top

I am in the market myself, cant decide if I could put up with one of those tiny screen machines to save the bucks or not. in the meantime, here is nancy reagans choice for laptops. :D
nancy-reagan-on-mr-ts-lap-22767-1233292335-2.jpg

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago. Everybody had a different suggestion and none of them made much sense to me. One or two guys said they had just gone cheap and were very happy.

All I wanted was something to surf the web and check email, but I wanted a decent size screen. I ended up going to Sam's and getting this HP G60 for $599 and it has far exceeded my expectations. And a week after getting home from California my desktop hard drive crashed so I've been on the laptop exclusively since the first of June.

RJS, a new HD is to be had cheap eh. I went to the computer store a few weeks ago after ANOTHER system failure (overheated processor) and I bought a new HD at the time as well, 320Gig for $60 canadian.. If you are thinking of rebuilding.

No, I never liked that computer anyways. Yesterday I plugged in my previous desktop (running WinXP) and it fired right up. Was wild looking back through old emails from 7-8 years ago.

Anyway, getting back to Jerry's new laptop- I also recommend picking up a wireless mouse to use with it if you like using a mouse. I hate the touchpad and bought a Logitech NX80 wireless mouse to use and it's fantastic. And after my desktop died I also plugged my keyboard in to my laptop using a USB adapter so now I can use a real keyboard as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, I never liked that computer anyways. Yesterday I plugged in my previous desktop (running WinXP) and it fired right up. Was wild looking back through old emails from 7-8 years ago.

Anyway, getting back to Jerry's new laptop- I also recommend picking up a wireless mouse to use with it if you like using a mouse. I hate the touchpad and bought a Logitech NX80 wireless mouse to use and it's fantastic. And after my desktop died I also plugged my keyboard in to my laptop using a USB adapter so now I can use a real keyboard as well.

Now that some good advice.
all i want this thing for is using this
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10461
The mapping soft ware is a b%^&*
My old PC will not take the DVD formatted maps

I have an external keyboard and mouse hooked up right now. Both of them plug into the USB slots. I wasn't aware I could hook up an external monitor (I might have to check into that :/: )

I have an external keyboard and mouse hooked up right now. Both of them plug into the USB slots. I wasn't aware I could hook up an external monitor (I might have to check into that :/: )

Yes you can Brian. It's how I use my Dell, since the screen hinges cracked and broke off. Just hook up the the VGA port on the back of the notebook, and once you get it up, there is usually a bound key setup to transfer to the VGA output for projectors and external monitors. On my Dell, you push I believe Function +F2, and it outputs to the port, and push it again, and it would revert back to the LCD.

If you look towards the larger 17" notebooks, most will have a full qwerty keyboard with number pad, because as they are nicknamed, they truly fill the void as a "desktop replacement," laptop.

Jason, that's what I have, a 'notebook' computer. I think they call it a 16.9" but I'll be damned if I can get more than 16" when measuring the screen diagonally. I use the other keyboard because I need to set the screen far enough away so that I can read it. My arms aren't long enough to use the built in keyboard all the time. :roll:

Oh Jerry, the DVD player works very well on this machine. It can also rip and burn discs as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9377104&type=product&id=1218094855118

I would recemend this laptop. It has plenty of processing power along with good memory and a nice size hard drive. It will defiantly be able to handle running a gps with mapping software. Also it has enough power to do even more, I rented one for a short while and was playing assasins creed on it at medium settings. Which happens to be one of the most demanding games as far as hardware goes. You can also find that model at walmart for $100 more, I think walmart price matches so you could go that route.

Sytherstrike, that is exactly the same one I bought from Sam's. :thumbup:

9377104_rb.jpg

Sorry to hear your hard drive crashed. I really liked it when I rented it, and plan to buy one in a few months if something else better doesn't come out.

Good deal, Jerry. After a few days I disabled most of the HP proprietary programs running on the computer. But only after I got familiar with the machine a little bit.

Did you get the wireless mouse also?

the spending spree continues! I just ordered this laptop , this mouse and this memory stick. I am going to use it as a backup machine to my PC and a machine that I can go and do basic surfing and work on when the other machine is busy (IE when Ayden is watching Sesame Street on youtube and I need to work. ) :|: pickup Wednesday AM at the computer store up the street.

Cool, you found one with XP. Vista is nice, but takes so damn much memory. Mine runs a lot smoother since I dumped IE and switched to Firefox. There's only one or two minor functions that I miss but the faster speed is worth it.

yup, I looked for an XP model. Funny enough the E-machines, the tiny screened ones all seem to be on linux. I will dump any proprietary shit I can and go with firefox, office 2003 and Norton antivirus. Probably add Skype as well as its handy when out of town instead of the buck fifty (per MINUTE) my cell provider wants for a roaming LD call...

ha! so now the REAL test of patience comes, I picke it up this afternoon and plugged it in to the charger, as with many electronics, I CANT TURN IT ON tilll its fully charged. :cry::cry::cry:

ha! so now the REAL test of patience comes, I picke it up this afternoon and plugged it in to the charger, as with many electronics, I CANT TURN IT ON tilll its fully charged. :cry::cry::cry:

I can't say I've ever not broken that rule.

Back