pro carver needed near Baton Rouge

• Thread starter boo
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1K
B

boo

I have a 115 year old red oak removal, currently reduced to a 10' spar.
How much would it cost to have it carved into something awesome?
What is awesome?
Who can do it?
How long will it last?

Thanks for any help.

I hope this is okay to post here.

Attachments

• HPIM2754.jpg
    HPIM2754.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks MB, I hope to hear from a pro-carver soon... I would like to have an awesome carving on this property in memory of this tree.
10' standing spar remains, 20' circumference @ top of root crown.
Part of carving cost will be absorbed by saving on stump grinding... I expect a cost of thousands for the carving.

I saw this one being carved a few months ago across the street from one of my customers. I believe it was the owner who carved it though, not somebody for hire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Counting the rings, I came up with the 115 years.

Maximum Life Span
One of the most common and well-known species of oak, the white oak (Quercus alba), has an average life span of 300 years. Under excellent growing conditions, however, white oaks are known to live up to 600 years, making them one of the longest-lived American oak species. Post oak (Q. stellata) has a maximum life span of 400 years, as do the northern red oak (Q. rubra), chestnut oak (Q. prinus) and overcup oak (Q. lyrata).

Shorter-Lived Species
Many other types of oak trees have known maximum life spans of around 200 years, including the pin oak (Q. palustris), scarlet oak (Q. coccinea) and southern red oak (Q. falcata). While the shorter-lived species may grow at a somewhat faster rate than their longer-lived cousins, all oaks have a slow growth rate compared with many other types of shade tree species.

Back