Power pole saw?

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
How many of you using a power pole saw regularly? Was it worth getting? Any recommendations on brand?

Wondering if I’ll end up using it more than I thought or just watch it collect dust apart from that one cut a year I need it for.

I'd use one for the occasional job trimming along driveways. Also it's handy for a skilled ground operator to use on pear trees while the climber is up in another. I'm happy with my personal one, because I rarely climb. I can trim crepe Myrtles and lower branches so you can walk and mow under trees. It is probably used more by landscapers for little trim jobs. The reach isn't great has heavy as they are. I have an extension for my already full length Echo, but I think it would be unwieldy, and would put the saw at a worse operating angle.

I like mine to get stuff on the ground before I get in the tree so people can stay busy. I also like it for storm damage. Nice to cut things at a safe distance when they are loaded in odd manners. Usually, pole saws in the tree are manual hand powered due to reduced weight but it has been used aloft.

Ok, it’s time to get terminology right.
A petrol powered chainsaw on an extendable rod is a power pruner.
A hand saw on the end of a pile is a polesaw.

Butch was very insistent on getting that right, and he had a point.

Not sure if that clarifies things. A pruner to me is a lopper on a pole. An image search for "power pruner" shows battery operated loppers. It also shows chainsaws on a stick, but loppers dominate image results. It's ambiguous at best.

Every chip truck had one. Mostly, they were smashed from slamming back and forth in the chip box compartment. If they were in working order, they were handy for getting truck access in driveways, or limbing up a spruce as far as you could reach before it was climbed. If I was going to buy one, it would be an M18 Milwaukee.

Every chip truck had one. Mostly, they were smashed from slamming back and forth in the chip box compartment. If they were in working order, they were handy for getting truck access in driveways, or limbing up a spruce as far as you could reach before it was climbed. If I was going to buy one, it would be an M18 Milwaukee.
That what I use mine a lot for.
Limbing out conifers as high as possible in order to be able to help the groundy before putting the harness on.

Back