Plumbing question

SeanKroll

Treehouser
What would cause a water hammer-type of forceful turning ON at one sink but not others?

Is it a faucet problem?

I would think a long straight shot and a tight bend with little support on that particular pipe. Perhaps a flexible pipe is used, and it decompresses significantly when the faucet turns on. There's a lot that can play into it. You are just talking about the noise, right?

I'm no plumbing expert btw, just throwing out ideas.

Assuming it was piped correctly your air chambers are likely full or have a leak. Turn off the water and drain the system (turn the water on everywhere so it sucks air), that should fill all your air chambers. If the piping doesn't have air chambers on that one there's your problem, you'll need to add them then.

Start with a pressure check of the system if on public water. We want the pressure under 80 psi. You can put a 100lb gauge on a hose faucet to check pressure.

Assuming it was piped correctly your air chambers are likely full or have a leak. Turn off the water and drain the system (turn the water on everywhere so it sucks air), that should fill all your air chambers. If the piping doesn't have air chambers on that one there's your problem, you'll need to add them then.
Only quick closing (solenoid) valves require chambers. This would only affect washing machines, dishwashers, and ice makers.

Is it code to put chambers at every fixture in Illinois?

I'm not a plumber so I'm not up on codes, but yes pretty much every fixture I've ever seen (or installed) has air chambers. A tee and a cap is cheap, and helps keep things quiet. I'm a steamfitter and do mainly industrial work and some commercial, no potable water or sewer for me unless it's at the treatment plant.

Back