now, best boots for footlocking? :)

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 4K
W

Widow Shooter

I got some great advice on the best rope, now, what do you folks concur are the best boots for footlocking??

Obviously, some type of hiker would be my guess; but, are there any particular boot that stands above the rest????:)

thanks8)

Patagonia Drifters... not terribly durable for everyday work though... I got about 6 months out of my last pair.

I think it is a preference. I use a mid range hiker made by Merrill. Low cut heel with a fairly agressive sole. I also look for light weight and ankle high.
I dont think you'll ever get much more than 6 months out of a boot like that and it depends on how abusive you are in the tree. A lot of times when I'm done pruning I will swap out when I hit the ground to my Wescoes to save the hikers.I never use them for removals although, you can if theey have a steel shank or a hard sole.

Greg

I always liked what NoBivy did to his boots to make them good for footlocking.

I always liked what NoBivy did to his boots to make them good for footlocking.
You mean clicking his heels and riding the Wraptor?

I like the instep to be sharp edged like the heel rather than rounded and smooth. It seems easier to get a solid bite on the rope. For the same reason I like the upper where the rope goes over to be split leather or have a grabby texture.

He added tread to the sides of the boot to make them tackier for foot locking.

Rumination, you see Charley, Tell him Greg Liu said, Hello

I will do that Greg. I may not see him until after his wedding and honeymoon in October, though.

I got 13 months out of my first pair of Asolo's, which I bought in ATL's REI before going to Andersonville (2007 I think?) with Gary. I'm still on my second pair. I have 3 pair of shoes, and wear 2 of them regularly. My Asolo's, and my Birks, don't know when I last wore my New Balances.

The first died shortly after a trip through the washing machine, so I bet the hot water messed up the glue.

All of the Asolos I have worn have all lasted me over a year per pair. I haven't used that model that Jon has, though. The Fugitives work well for me so I'll probably replace with the same when this pair dies. Sierra Trading Post has the best deal on these.

I do like to replace the stock insoles with Superfeet.

I'm on my second pair of Asolos. Pricey but comfortable and very good grip. They will wear out quick if you walk on pavement a lot though. Not sure about footlocking since I've never done it.
http://www.rei.com/product/667406

4e30f22c-ba16-4815-965c-a07f4d81f6ed.jpg

True, those soles are made for trail walking, not pavement. Concrete and asphalt will wear them out far faster. Brian, next time you need a pair check out sierratradingpost.com . They typically have them for ~40% off.

Ah, gotcha. They did have the Asolos Fugitives in wides recently but are now out of stock. I'm waiting for them to restock with my size and then I'll probably order another pair. Hopefully that will coincide with one of their email coupons...

I wish mine wore that evenly. Mine wear hard on the ball of the right foot and the outer heel of the left foot. Maybe my legs are different lengths?

It sure is related. I had an excellent Hawaiian massage therapist work on me once. I was having problems with my neck at the time. The first thing he said was "One of your legs is too short, let's fix that". He put me on my side and made some ungodly popping noise in my hip, and then told me to stand back up. The difference I felt was amazing.

In the words of Homer Simpson, when he got adjusted by a chiropractor;

"That feels a little better!"

But seriously, I did find one who was a magician.

Back