New Tribe Onyx Adjustment Help

GemCutter

TreeHouser
I got a new Onyx yesterday and have worked on initial adjustments a couple of times hanging in the basement (nothing but rain here). I have only used a rock climbing harness for my extremely limited tree climbing and have never use an actual tree climbing saddle before.

I think I have the leg straps pretty close and man are they nice. It's going to take a few climbs to get use to them hanging free when you're not seated.

My small problem is with the waist belt. When I sit back in the saddle the top edge of the belt just hits my lowest ribs (about where the side D-rings are). I'm confident this will be annoying when I get to spend some time climbing in it.

The strap from the waist belt to the rigging plate (rope bridge) came adjusted as short as possible and lengthening it seems to make the situation worse.

I have the larger size Onyx, am 5'8", 182 lbs. with enough of that in the middle that the waist belt adjusts to about the middle of it's range.

Any ideas on what I need to try or is my torso just too short for the saddle?

Thanks

Gem,

Try wearing the waist belt lower toward your hips rather then in the small of your back. Then adjust the length of the leg straps that connect to the back of the waist belt until it holds you in a comfortable upright position. Wearing the belt lower will keep it out of your ribs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I called New Tribe and after a lengthy conversation on adjusting the Onyx, I was advised to try tightening the seat strap which seems to have solved my problem. The weather finally cooperated and I got a good climb in today. I still have a bit of fine tuning to do, but my first impression of this saddle is very good.

I've got a New tribe Onyx for my next seasons also . :thumbup:

I was quite surprised how sturdy and comfortable it is.

I'm still experimenting on fine tunings but so far I can't complain anything .

I've heard of issues with ISC buckle is not comfortable , leg strap nylon webbing stitching is weak., etc .
but not to mine at all.

I was debating with myself for a quite long time whether should I buy a MB2 or Onyx , TM Pro . :teeter:

I actually made a call to MB and questioned about size too .
Also send my actual jeans pants size picture to them but had no replies to my email from them . :dontknow:

Then...

Blackfriday deal kicks in and saw Onyx was on a great sale pricing:O

so I jumped right on it.

I'm glad that I could get a hands on this saddle .

Maybe 5 years later down a road I'd try MB 3.0 ( ;)) or Treemotion Pro or something. (y)

Last edited:
Back