new 70cc saw?

That is what have kept me from using them.
40 years of running stock saws have managed to ruin my hearing quite well, I can only imagine what the others would have done.

Written while wearing hearing aids.

When I logged, we got a bunch of 7900's. They were awesome. But rattled apart constantly. They got tossed within 6 months. That's my only evidence. Personal experience.

You never have and never do see a Dolmar in the woods here.
They simply don't hold up.

Hey stig, is it raining this morning in Denmark? Lot of posts this morning!

I'd be interested if there was any pro outfit either logging or urban stuff who uses anything exclusively outside of Husky/Jred or Stihl, or maybe echo.

Nah, I'm off to a big exhibition of all kind of crap at my castle.
Waiting for the wife to finish up in the stable so we can go.

It's wise that while discussing saws and their ability to last, we remember that logging and tree work are two very different lives for a chainsaw. Most eastern loggers get 1 year out of a brand new stihl or husky. Anything longer is a gift.

Brand of saw has less to do with it. A good dealer is priceless.
We had good Dolmar dealer here since 60's so you find quite a bit happy loggers running them around his place.

A guy I know said Dolmars rattled apart, back before still took over their line-up. Maybe it's been fixed. RogerB like some of them, iirc.

Are modded saws louder than stock? I was around a modded 372 and it was retarded loud and the cutting speed wasn't jaw dropping. Then again it wasn't modded by a pro.

Oh yeah. The new guy said my 660 is the loudest saw he's ever heard. I wear plugs and muffs for everything, from cutting with my 192t near my head in a tree, chipping, or bucking.

It it helps there has been a bunch of 357's, 361's and many others that rattled apart. It say's very little a bout a brand or a model.
So do 5 series HVA...

They leave me with less work/money. I am small enough to don't care, but it is a huge difference in number of saws you need to sell to get full time service.
As I service any brand I see quite a bit.
But as a brand it is just as the others, they have their good and bad saws. Trick is to know what is good and what is bad. To know what to do before it even comes near wood and what to do when something happens.
If saws don't get the proper attention they need it won't matter what model or brand it is.
My customers are happy, as it is less than half cost of running saw a year.
Home owners that has saws 15 years for firewood cutting without any issue at all except a yearly service.
Pro owners that run saws two instead of one year and a few that do even more.
One pro owner that run saw daily saw 8 months a year is now on his 7'th year, but he is a exceptionally good operator.

Dolmar has been a very reliable company, just like Husqvarna was. And just like HVA did with Elux, it has now gone thru same change Makita.
Dolmar GMBH is no more. End of a era, one of many. New name is Makita Engineering Germany GmbH. Research and development is moved from Hamburg.
Saws will still be made and brand will still be going I guess, at least for a couple years.

But for me I am done. I keep servicing, but I will not sell more new saws of any brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Magnus if I bought the 7910 what would you suggest I do to it out of the box? Replace muffler and port it?

No. I doubt you need that, but not sure what muffler and carbs you get in US.
Here we don't need it, it performs well without mod. If you need more power, you get a bigger saw.

When I sell a saw I update it if needed, service it and start it up, run it half a tank in wood, look it over tighten screws that are needed, clean it up and let customer go nuts with it. This is best done after a couple tanks of fuel, some I let go and customer come after that, but only with those I know they know what they are doing. Very few do...

This way you find eventual issues and custemer gets a fully functional product.

I learned on the 242/262/254's a long time ago the importance of CORRECTLY tighten muffler bolts. If they go without correct tension gasket is replaced and tension set right warm muffler/bolt/cylinder.

There is trix you learn as you go that you apply on the saws. A example is what lubrikant to use in throttle cables to make them last and not clog up with dirt and break

It's wise that while discussing saws and their ability to last, we remember that logging and tree work are two very different lives for a chainsaw. Most eastern loggers get 1 year out of a brand new stihl or husky. Anything longer is a gift.

That is most certainly true.
I cut more trees in a year than most arbos do in a career.
Murphy being the exception, of course.

I service some saws for a couple arborists, they don't run them much in comparison to most loggers I have here as customers, this is true..
Looking at the run time on a saw it is no debate at all.

The worst beat up saws is from the beech loggers. If you get them to value the advice they get they last longer though.
One guy I taught by giving him free service if there was no repairs on buffers and covers.
He is one of my best runners now. I give him saws that need run time and evaluations etc. He has a good ear for both engines and advice's.

So Magnus if I bought the 7910 what would you suggest I do to it out of the box? Replace muffler and port it?
The Dolmars are strong runners in stock form, and just plain badass once ported. A muffler mod on a stock saw doesn't really do much for a 7900, though.

The only difference between the 7900 and 7910 is the muffler, and the coil is limited to a bit lower RPM... 12,900 vs. 13,500 for the 7900, IIRC. A 7900 muffler will swap over, but isn't really needed.

RPM in log is still around 10 000rpm so a lower top rpm is not of any matter unless it is a limbing saw.
Work rpm change when ported and sometimes if muffler is modded too, but these saws don't make their life of rpm like some others.

The worst beat up saws is from the beech loggers. If you get them to value the advice they get they last longer though.
One guy I taught by giving him free service if there was no repairs on buffers and covers.
He is one of my best runners now. I give him saws that need run time and evaluations etc. He has a good ear for both engines and advice's.

What kind of advice do you give them??

Mostly about operating saw, handling, service filing etc.. But I give advice on anything that can benefit the saw or handling of it.

What about operating I guess I'm interested in. I try to keep the revs high but always teeth with wood to cut of course. Try never to bog it of course

Back