MS462 C-M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like a good system if it works as advertised. There’s plenty of places around here I can get a decent saw but I’m looking at “service after the sale”. That in itself narrows my options.

The idea that i would have to go to a dealer to work on it is a hard line for me. John Deere is in a huge fight right now over the same stuff, because they are attempting to pull the same stuff. The end consumer has the right to repair what they paid for, this multiple layers of software is complete bs.

I agree Kyle. That really bothers me. Even if I don't want to fix it myself, I should be able to take it to any mechanic I want, whether or not they're a Stihl dealer. I'd like to see a usb port, and open source software that comes with the saw to interface with it.

It sure does work nice though, and I don't enjoy mechanical work...

The problem is that most stihl dealers are horrible mechanics, but still charge a fortune. A simple repair will likely run a pretty good portion of the cost of the saw. I understand loggers here will disagree, and view their saws differently than someone like me who does this part time, but I've seen these guys aren't any good at fixing older stuff so why would adding a computer to the mix change their abilities other than perhaps limiting part changing till it works techniques.

The 462c is available with a standard adjustable carb instead of Mtronic ... imho the Mtronic system is superior to the standard carb in that the saw , regardless of temp or elevation , will always be in tune whereas the standard carb needs periodic (perhaps daily) adjustment to be in tune ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I may or may not know how to obtain said s/w but that doesn’t mean I’d know how to use it. ;) I don’t mind paying someone to do something I can’t, it’s hard to beat a man at his own game, if he knows his chit. That would be another question to ask my local dealer without insulting him. Y’all know better than anyone how much I hate to do that... cough...

We have 4 462s.
Never had a problem with any of them and they get run a LOT of hours.

@stig ... 4 462 standard carb or Mtronic ? I thought you preferred 500i? They aren’t available here in USA yet ( way to go STIHL !) but supposedly are making there way across the pond “soon” ... How does the 462 compare with the 500i from your perspective?

Give it to me so I can spend it.

I say Husqy but I am one of the few here who run them.
I’m a STIHL guy at heart but own both the 462c and 572xp ... both are exceptional saws in their own right especially when modded ... the 462c is the most “Husqvarna-like” saw I’ve run and the 572xp kinda pulls like the old STIHL 460 series 😆

For logging I prefer the 500i, it is IMO a much better saw.
But for firewood cutting I wouldn't pay that much extra for a saw.
We run the Mtronics.

Back