Motorcycling.

I took mine out yesterday.
Had to go look at a tree 55 miles away.
2 degrees above freezing but the roads were dry.
Doing 120 MPH on the freeway and thinking they must have a hell of a wind tunnel at BMW, cause I was nice and snug behind the fairing.😊

Last edited:
The fairing is crazy... I worry about busting my face on it...

The XR was tired from being beaten on... the ktm needs a pulse coil generator... So I took the Husky downtown for some bids...

Today I'm taking it to Carnegie... Hope to get some pics for you guys....

Attachments

• 20200109_064044.jpg
    20200109_064044.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
I've received the pulse coil and side cover gasket so I'm planning on doing that soon... after I get motavated. Then I got my new dirt tires and tubes to put on the 350...

The XR is the hardest bike to kill I've come across... I think Hondas are just like that....

Looking for 2002 yz250...

I think the new liquid 650 came out 2000 and some guys got them and promptly opened the exhaust - drill or core removal, not sure anymore - then they upped the jetting and I think they claimed 65 hp. I rode one like that once and it was a pavement twist wheelie machine but in the dirt it was a handful and heavy. Then I got it - the moniker Big Red Pig BRP. These guys also rewound their stators to handle good headlight setups.

Way back a buddy of mine had a Yamaha TT600 which was an air oil cooled offload only bike. At the time I was on a yz125 so when we switched bikes he went to a dremel tool and I was almost idling up hill climbs on his tractor. I was so not-fat :-) I actually bounced on his kick starter. I want to say early to mid 80's.

Ever tried your hand at enduros or hare scrambles? When I first started riding in the trees I had full width mx bars and no bark busters. One of the crashes in my first hare scramble was caused by saplings or bushes or something pulling my brake lever as I rode past it. I could never ride the pace to even remotely stay in the hunt in an enduro. Still, I had fun. When I got comfortable in the single track I thought nothing of ricocheting the handlebar end off a few tree trunks during an afternoon. With the bark busters it would just make a ping sound deflect the bike a bit and way you went. Been a while since I've put in trail time.

Ever go full aggro on the throttle and brakes? That's competition mode. Or scrubbing in a new trail. One day we were cutting trail and the leader said "ok now you guys run this a few times and scrub it in so its more apparent than just the arrows". So I obliged with my bigger bike prompting the guy behind me to say at the end of the run "Do you always ride like that?" I said of course not, I was just excavating the trail surface. First time I was ever conscious of quantifying wheel spin vs just getting on the gas just hard enough to fit your need for quickness. Big change moving from a two stroke to a big four stroke. You actually have to modulate the throttle as opposed to using it like a faster or brakes switch. The sheer power increase is also impressive. To get the same pull as a big four stroke I had to ride a 250 right up on the pipe kind of like "torque what torque?". Real game changer.

I find the 250 with a steep narrow power band... the 350 4T is more linear... and predictable.

I just heard of a little ktm 125 2T for sale from a friend... I might have a problem.

I still have my 86 Honda CR125. Power's a bit down because the riders a bit fat. :) Honest to goodness, that's one of the real reasons I went to a newer 4 stroke. And getting a picky 2 stroke kick started on a steamy summer day when you're dead nuts tired out. I was faced with bump/push starting on a section of sand whoops in a forest trail and that put me over the edge on the purchase.

Is your 350 trail power or mx power? chunky flywheel? squishy shock settings? Guys who ride the rocks and mud in northern Ontario run real squishy shocks and forks and avoid air time.

Had to go pick up a pair of boots for the apprentice 1 hour's drive away.
Since it was, for once, a dry day, i took the bike.
A nice bracing 2 hour bike ride at 5 degrees above freezing.
Was really good to blow the cobwebs out of both the BMW and myself.

Hottub sure felt good when I got home :)

I had the Jag out for a dry but bracing top down run on Tuesday last...35 degrees F. 'Twas fun, per usual :). The old girl is dirty as a bird dog running the fields, but I've not been able to give it a decent wash in several weeks...just too cold and wet. Still sexy as hell :).

Last edited:
Nice Stig... Use it or Lose it!

Took the kid and wife to super cross and then went to hollister today to ride...

Attachments

• 20200201_173848.jpg
    20200201_173848.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200202_112840.jpg
    20200202_112840.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
Got my old dual sport out of the barn today. A friend and former co-worker bought a brand spanking new ktm 500 so we hit a few local trails i know of. Felt good to be back on two wheels. I need to stay off that new ktm or I might start dreaming of a replacement for my ragged out old yamaha.

If it's an old TT500 it's worth rebuildin n hangin onto.

Much like an old 490 two stroke circa 85.

Only four gears, but enough oompa to not need anymore!

How about that new Lightning all electric settin the motorcycle record up Pike's peak?

The future's faster lads!

Happiness is a crisp responsive throttle.....

Jomo

I still ride an R1. Bought it new in 02. Been a great bike. Tops out at 186. More than fast enough for me. Still have my 06 XR 650L dual sport. Probably keep it forever. Raced dirtbikes all my life. Just sold my last race bike about a year ago. Would love to get another but probably won't.

I love the 650R. Wish I had one. Just sold my kx 250 two stroke. Bought an 89 CR 500 when I was 17. Raced it for 11 years. It took a little bit to learn how to ride it. It got away from me a few times.

If it's an old TT500 it's worth rebuildin n hangin onto.

Much like an old 490 two stroke circa 85.

Only four gears, but enough oompa to not need anymore!

How about that new Lightning all electric settin the motorcycle record up Pike's peak?

The future's faster lads!

Happiness is a crisp responsive throttle.....

Jomo
Not a tt, an xt350. Not pretty but quick enough to be safe on the road, light enough on trails and not much to go wrong with it. Suspension and brakes leave alot to be desired...

Those 'lectric bikes look awesome. I've had my eye on the sur-ron bee as a stealth mtb alternative. Problem around here is finding a place to ride public land on a bike you can't tag. The battery stuff is gonna get better and better. Can't wait

Back