Looking for 044,064,066 Stihls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... 241c mtronic with 16” bar and 3/8 .050 “lo-Pro” chain ... you can fiddle with orange screwdrivers all-day or use mtronic

So you gonna start chopping her up then? To hell with the warranty? :)
Once I get 10 - 15 tanks thru it’ll be broken in ... I’ll keep it stock (and under warranty) till then just in case

I love that lil saw. They should keep selling the 241, there’s a demand for sure. Think it’s already off the market now and folks are stuck with 261 or tail handle 201.
Mtronic on my 441, so far that’s my only one but I like it.

I hear complaints about mtronic, but my two work perfectly. Philosophically, I'm opposed to proprietary software, and being tied to one source for repairs, but I enjoy the ease of just pulling a cord. It was ~1 year before I even knew the saw had a cold start procedure. I'd just pull it out and pull the cord. Always fired within 7 pulls.

Properly modded (and I mean the whole 9 yards not just a lipstick port-job) the 241c is a lil ripper ... lotsa “known” builders puttin out mediocre product nowadays especially with these “new offerings” like the 462c and 572xp ... It’s a cutthroat operation when your income depends on porting saws for sure ! Not that hard to do a model that’s been “worked out” by others years ago and the general recipe known (461; 372xp etc) ... MUCH more difficult on a new (er) offering - lotsa $$$ spent , R/D , time wrenching, blown engines etc etc ... I’ve been inside quite a few of “their” saws , tore em right down to the cases just to see ... Ain’t got nothin on this black cat I tell ya ! Might consider it bragging but not if you can back it up

I love that lil saw. They should keep selling the 241, there’s a demand for sure. Think it’s already off the market now and folks are stuck with 261 or tail handle 201.
Mtronic on my 441, so far that’s my only one but I like it.
I “wood” be happy to be stuck with a 261c ... in fact I own one that’s hotwoods ported ... at 50cc vs the 241 42 cc it’s noticably quicker and not that much heavier ... The 241c was 549.99 and the 261c 599.99 - for only $50 more you are getting almost 20% more displacement- maybe that’s why it’s not NLA in the STIHL catalog???

You also get a lot more weight.
If that is what you are looking for, why not simply buy a MS880.

Frankie, for those of us who run saws 8 hours a day most of the year, it is not so much about displacement as weight, lack of vibrations and general user friendliness.

I know what Carol Shelby and Walter Owen Bentley said about displacement, but they didn't have to carry their cars around.

Stig , me thinks you’re takin it out of context ... Both saws are very lightweight and punch well above their weight class ... that’s the reason why most run ported saws , more powa in a lighter package ! Be honest now ... if I handed ya a saw that was 2lbs lighter , had the same or more pull and used half the fuel of your beloved 500i would ya run it ?

I think that’s why the 024 never sold like the 026, almost same weight but less power. Actually the same chassis I think.

The 241 and 261 have more differences than just displacement though, they’re quite different animals. A little limbing saw has earned a home next to little chippers that some tree services run and backyard work to keep from hitting siding and downspouts when dragging brush.
The 241 is a nice machine for in between 50cc and top handles.

Not to say the 261 is considered heavy or overweight... but a pound or two makes a bit of difference when you’re picking it up dozens of times during a job.

A little weight makes a huge difference. I have a echo cs400 and a PoulanPro pr4218. Very similar in specs, but the poulan is noticeably heavier. Not like it's hard to use, but for clearing brush holding it straight ahead and slashing with it like I was doing with the echo would make a very long day.

I own both saws (ported) and to me the weight differential isn’t much a factor ... 9.9lbs 241c ; 11.6lbs 261c ... @Jonny and @ixskllr ... you guys need to start working the ol burp-ceps If 1lb 7oz is wearing youse out !!! :roflmao:

Try spending a few hours with your arms straight out holding a saw, and slashing greenbriars, vines, and flora multirosa. The cramps you get at night dead nuts in the center of your back is uniquely delightful.

I'm not exactly little. 6'5"/215#(lost some weight after I got sick this year. Needed it \o/ ), and I'm a professional mule. Humping 100# of crap back into the woods isn't an unusual occurrence, and the bare minimum I carry every single day is a 10# pole(better keep that thing plumb or the antique gun will lose you), and a 10# belt.

When you aren't just out there playing games, every gram helps. A couple years ago I hacked together a lithium battery for my pole instead of using the stock nimh battery. I doubt it was .5# difference, but it made my life a good bit better. That was a $100 upgrade I'd have paid for if I had to. As it is, it was actually ~$150 cheaper since I did it myself, and used unapproved parts. Bottom line, is weight matters. If it doesn't now, it will later

At the top of the page is a guy wielding an 066 with a long bar cutting a large pine tree (?) @MasterBlaster , any tips you p/u along the way to be able to shoulder the heavy load ?

I own both saws (ported) and to me the weight differential isn’t much a factor ... 9.9lbs 241c ; 11.6lbs 261c ... @Jonny and @ixskllr ... you guys need to start working the ol burp-ceps If 1lb 7oz is wearing youse out !!! :roflmao:
That’s all gonna depend on what else has been going on throughout the day. Come hour 11 on a busy job you’ll be reaching for the lighter saw to make a 4” cut to fit something through the chipper too. The 241 and 261 can do a lot of the same but one is lighter and the other is more powerful and sometimes the difference is important.

Side note, my 024AV is neither light nor fast nor powerful. It’s reliable though... which is why I wanna bitch about DCing the 241. It’s gonna be a frankenfucked top handle if I want a decent ~40cc for the ground now.

That 066 is in the wood, MB doesn't need to support it any more, he's not swinging it around when climbing, just sticking it self supported in the trunk every few minutes.

Something that is amazing for me is how Jerry holds a 36" at arms length, and cuts up under a log for several seconds at a time. I like swinging around a 90cc cutting things in seconds, but one day I had several small trees to cut shoulder high, and all that was available was a stock Echo 490. I was not thrilled about that, but was actually quite happy with how light and easy to handle it was, and still had good power. Now a modified 490 is a must in my lineup, but I'm sure I'd rather a modified 352 if clearing brush all day to save on weight, but then I'd just use a 2511t to make it that much easier. I have noticed a big difference too in just a half pound difference in a top handle saw can handle much differently.

Last edited:
That’s all gonna depend on what else has been going on throughout the day. Come hour 11 on a busy job you’ll be reaching for the lighter saw to make a 4” cut to fit something through the chipper too. The 241 and 261 can do a lot of the same but one is lighter and the other is more powerful and sometimes the difference is important.

Side note, my 024AV is neither light nor fast nor powerful. It’s reliable though... which is why I wanna bitch about DCing the 241. It’s gonna be a frankenfucked top handle if I want a decent ~40cc for the ground now.
I like the 241 best because it’s FUN to run it ! They are NLA but are in stock at a few local dealers , besides , I may have a few stashed away 😉 ... As far as 11hr days goes ; I better be gettin greased ! At my age I can STIHL do a full 8 hr day of labor ... it just takes me 2 days to do it haha :jam:

Back