Launcher for rope? (Not throw line)

I think that's gonna be hard. I'm assuming you want to get a ½" minimum rope into a tree. StableBraid is 4# for 50' + aerodynamic drag. Get that into a tree, and you still have to recover the end, overcoming weight as well as friction of the wood. I don't think it's impossible, but it'll be very hard, and any engineering involved in building a system to make it happen will be orders of magnitude greater than using a throwline.

Ŵhat is the application?

A throw line weight launcher with a smooth release (Big Shot with a bow release or horse panic-snap or pneumatic launcher and a laser) is the way to skip a few years of practice with hand throwing.

Trebuchet. This particular seige engine is famous for its rather high, arching trajectory, perfect for throwing boulders and plauge bodies over castle walls. Should work quite well for throwing both the rope, and the weight needed to drag it down through the branches. Mount it to the back of the Duece for easy positioning.

From my experience, 120lbs and an 8ft lever arm should put you in the right neighborhood, although playing with the weight, length of arm, and the fulcrum point will all change the characteristics drastically. Have fun.

A Bridger line gun might have has enough nuts to fire a rope.
Almost certainly, from my short experience :D.

Back