I’m a sucker for a bargain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m impressed for 30$.
Still on the hunt for a piece of broom handle or something to slide inside the handle to reinforce it some, but haven’t bent it yet, and been working it since May of this year. Haven’t put a ton of force from two guys on it yet, but I doubt one man can damage the tool or handle.
The “T” part of it comes off if you’d just like a plain old cant hook too.

Here’s a pic from the Amazon reviews that shows how someone made the handle a little beefier with a broomstick or something.
5AE813DD-E9E7-4664-8922-4DF2B0605E96.jpeg

What do you think of the T? Consensus seems to be it looks like a better idea than it is in actual practice. I have a logrite cant hook I could get a stand for.

I used it a few times on ash logs maybe 16” diameter, and it worked. I used it just to try it, I don’t think I’d ever need the log lifted in the air. If I can just roll these logs over to finish my cuts, I’m happy. So far I’ve gone 21 years without needing a timberjack, but very often a peavy or cant hook is incredibly helpful.
My opinion is don’t bother seeking out the T stand part. I might take it off, but so far it hasn’t really gotten in the way or anything.

I don't use my cant hook a lot, but when I need it, it's a great tool. It's value is probably more in saving injuries than doing something otherwise impossible. Gets you out of the line of fire rolling logs off a stack, and saves your back manhandling logs.

Most of my stuff comes from either Bailey's or Madsen's.

Love Madsen's half zippered Hickory work shirts

I'd be remiss if not stating that looking for bargains buying life support rigging's a two edged sword that could bring your career in this industry to an abrupt end end .

Just my opinion on approaching five decades at it.

I like steel, that saw's absolutely hate......

I don't trust aluminum for life support applications to this day... Unless doubled up!

Call me a dinosaur......but I'm still alive.....climbin n postin n bein .....despicable....

Jomo

Jomo

Last edited:
Check out ST/TS‘s recent rope by the foot price change, maybe someone here can explain the logic of it! Their WrapStar hitch cord seems like a WarpSpeed clone, not sure Sterling makes any of their ropes, yet. Saddle hunters are suffering from a lack of products popular with them from Sterling, maybe a sign of the investment firms influence kicking in, along with everything else.

There is usually some access. I can't remember the last time I took down something big without the crane.

Not sure if this goes here, but it looks like a good deal if there's $400 in stuff you want from Sherrill...

Agwppeb.png

Great deal! Like the color! I got an orange Omniblock 1.5”, they’re really nice little rigging pulleys, I spliced mine onto an ultrasling.

I also got a 1.5” double sheave Omni, it’s always at the anchor when I set up a 5:1 MA. Lovely pulleys, for real.

Dunno if y'all consider this a deal, but I just got a cmi right foot ascender from amazon for $44. Said 3 left when I bought, so that makes 2 left if they're accurate. I want to see about modifying it as a knee ascender. It's not the hand ascender that would be different than what I already had, but it's US made at a Chinese price. I particularly like the release mechanism. I find myself fumbling with the one on Pat's ascender, and I'm not getting better with it. The cmi just works. It's from Rock-N-Rescue, so a reliable merchant.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/CMI-FOOT-ASCENDER-RIGHT/dp/B002J8VXRU/ref=sr_1_72?keywords=hand+ascender&qid=1643238460&sr=8-72

Looks a little bulkier than most other foot ascenders, but that probably isn’t an issue if turned into a knee ascender. CMI makes some excellent gear. Maybe not as pretty as Rock Exotica or DMM, but still bomber and usually priced nicely.

I have their foot ascender already, and I love it. It's certainly the ugliest choice, and a little bulky, but I have zero complaints about the performance. Works smooth, and does what it's supposed to.

Hmm... Well, we'll see. I'll have it Monday. I'll rig something together without modifying anything first as proof of concept. If it doesn't work out, I can keep it with my truck setup.

Back