Ice saws

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I live in an area where sturgeon spearing is pretty popular. This weekend was the opening of the season and usually around this time of year I find tons of large chainsaws for sale on Craigslist. They are almost always large saws and are a bit older. I have seen several Stihl 090, 070 and 048's not to mention other brands. I saw one 090 this year and they wanted $1000 for it. The saw has always been used as a saw to cut holes for sturgeon spearing. The thing looked brand new and included a 42" bar. Would a saw like this be a good deal? I cant believe that they ever saw much use and most probably never cut a single tree or log.

I am wondering if using a chainsaw to cut ice is bad on the saw? I am sure it wrecks the chain and maybe the bar as well, but what do you guys think?

Takes alot of power to turn a chain in the water, I bet they worked hard when they worked but are probably no worse for the wear.

Where I snowmobile in Maine The local clubs check ice thickness with a chainsaw. I've been across a lake or two with marginal ice thickness, actually lost my Olympic series Summit 700 with 800 miles on it to the bowels of Flagstaff lake. I was told that as long as your not leaving the saw sit afterwards without a good lube and blow dry you're fine.

Ive used my work saws to cut holes in the ice plenty of times. Keep the powerhead out of the water and you shouldnt have any real problems. Id say the saw for sale could be a good deal.

Back