I can’t put a new chain on my saw!

Eric H-L

Treehouser
I am very inexperienced so go easy on me! I am probably missing something obvious.
I have been changing chains on my rear handle saw for several years with no problem.
I got a top handle Husqvarna T435 with 12” bar a few years ago from Amazon. I use it infrequently. I have been sharpening the chain that came with it until it is down to nubs. I have not previously needed a new chain but I have had the original chain on and off every time I clean the sprocket area and flip the bar.
Today I decided to install a new chain. I don’t know what the original chain was. The new one is different but I believe it is recommended for this saw and bar. It’s Husqvarna X-CUT S93G. 3/8” mini 0.050”, 44 drive links 12”.
I can’t slip the chain over the bar. It’s like 3/8” too short even with the bar pushed all the way to the sprocket. I held the new chain next to the old and it is 3/8” or 1/2” shorter. I had two of the XCut chains new in box and they are both the same. What going on? IMG_9780.jpeg IMG_9782.jpeg

Last edited:
What does the bar call for? The bar will have what size and length of chain that you need to get scribed into it, i bet it's too short

You're one drivelink short with your new chain. You bought 44, should be 45. Have you tried putting the chain on the sprocket, "choking up" on the bar where it's sort of on top of the sprocket(it'll be out of line), putting the chain on the nose, then trying to straighten it up and fit it in place? Might not be room on a top handle. You can get away with more on longer bars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could not find a saw shop open this weekend so I bought three loops from Amazon. That one drive link made all the difference! I will try to go to Phil Dunlevey’s shop when I have time later. He was laid off from Treestuff when they were bought by Sherrill. Now he has a space right next to the old location of Treestuff. He seems to specialize in Stihl. Do you think he would have drive links for Husqvarna X-Cut? IMG_9785.jpeg

I'm not sure the brand matters. Saw chain isn't really a precision device, regardless of what the manufacturers try to sell it as. Doesn't take much use before they're out of spec. If there was any significant discrepancy, some quick handwork with a file should get it close enough.

Back