How do you know if the chain is getting oiled as intended?

Robert P

TreeHouser
When I run the saw, the oil reservoir goes down so it's going somewhere - is there a reliable way to verify the chain is getting lubed the way it's supposed to?

Is the chain/bar overheating? If not, you're good.

Rich's method of seeing if oil is slinging off the tip is good.

Can't say I've worried about it in years, although I run my saws far less than some folk.

Tight chains get hot, along with dull chains.
@SkwerI have a great phrase... when the chain and bar are cool, tension you chain so there is No Sag, No Drag.

Clean the bar's driver groove, including the small hole that allows the oil through to the bar from the power head.

If you rev the saw lightly without the side cover, bar and chain. You will see oil coming out. If not, you may need a oil pump worm gear.

What are you observing?

Newer model Stihl chains hold on to the oil better than older ones. Revving your saw with the tip close to your scabbard might not spit enough oil to be readily visible, especially if everything is clean. Pick it up and run your finger across where it should have spit...you should see a definite smear. That's enough to prove oil is getting to the chain.

At the oposite, if your chain corectly adjusted at first, begins to size, it's a clear sign of an oil suply failure. Very often with the ms 150 and 200T, I mean very often, thanks to their design which provoques the clogging of the oil hole in the bar (I don't know what's up with the other brands).

I've had repeated clogs of the tiny pin hole oil entry into the pump on my pole saw heads. Literally a sliver of wood fiber stuck in point first. Indication is sudden tightening of chain and perhaps heat you can feel if you check quick enough. Never had it occur on a regular saw. Long time ago I had a 260 that used 3 tanks of gas per oil tank, before I knew that one tank of each is a nominal usage target. That's your global oiling indicator.

Back