fuel mix and ratio for large ;piston 460

sierratree

TreeHouser
Recently blew up my 460 and had the larger piston installed. Haven't run it yet. Have the modified muffler and air filter, also
>>Should I use the standard Stihl HP Ultra and mix 50:1
>>.......or HP Ultra and mix 40:1
>>.......or Synthetic blend
>>.......or doesn't matter?

Agreed. Most of my saws are modified and I've been running Stihl Ultra at 50-1 for many years without a single fuel related problem. I have ported saws over 10 years old that still run fantastic, and I don't baby them.

I recently switched to 50:1 on all my saws, including the ported ones. I used to run 35:1. They run better at 50:1.

The burned piston could have been because of flaws in the BB kit. Most BB kits are junk (especially the pistons). They are a cheap alternative to a rebuild since OEM P&C's are pretty expensive. But if you do use a BB kit from any manufacturer... always... ALWAYS... use the factory Stihl wristpin clips. The clips that come in the kits are junk.

A lot of cats have used BB kits with no issues. But you couldn't pay me to use one.

50:1 Stihl Ultra with 92 octane fuel will be fine in any saw you run. Period. I use it in Everything from my old McCullochs and Homelites to my newer Stihls... no probs. I think it was Brian (da Skwerl) that said it best a while back... "Saws have a lubrication requirement... not a set oil amount requirement." I might have murdered that quote... but the concept is that modern mix oils do not have to be mixed at barbaric ratios to achieve the lubrication requirement of older mix oils. Before mix oils were used... SAE 30wt motor oil was the standard at 16:1, 20:1, or 25:1. But I can achieve the same lubrication with a 50:1 full synthetic mix oil nowadays.

Clear as mud?

Gary

Back