Fix Or Repair Daily = FORD

No_Bivy

Treehouser
He a weird rattle that has gotten worse over the past days......sounded like the locking hub on the driver side....pulled it, no problem there

drove a few days more...noise came and went. Today was a very wet start, so I decided to investigate further.

Pulled the rear drivers side wheels..nothing out of the ordinary. I took it out of gear and spun them...WTF is that!. Pulled the axle to get to the ebrake stuff. 4 broken bolts fell out damn! the other four holding the disc/hub on were hand tight. This truck has disc all around, but the parking bracking shoes are on the inside of the dics hub. No way to tighten unless you pull the axle....great idea engineers at ford had!fock!...Long story short, about three years ago the same thing happened on the other side causing major damage. I caught this one before it grenaded.

This is a 2001 F350 super duty...so if you have the same set up I would pull them to tighten. My guess is they weren't tightened at the factory properly...

I get a pics of the carnage....the good news is the broken shat rollin around in there polished the hell outta everything.

Good thing you caught it before you were Found On Road Dead! ;)

I went to a school with a girl we called FORD.

****'s on red day.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh.....the other lastest shat is......dudes tell me fords had some kinda of lining in the fuel tank which degrades over time...

I have been through several injectors and a pick up fuel pump, before we figured it out. So I cut the hard line from the tank and put in a inline filter, since there is nothing between the tank and this pick up pump. Sure enough after two months, it was clogged with what looks like rusty sawdust. I use the same fuel in chipper and other truck with no probs. So Im guessing it must be some kinda shat in the tank. Well at least those filters cost 4 bucks vs. 300 for the fuel pump(that has no screen!):what:

Something for Paul PCTREE to check out on his soon-to-be-new-to-him 2003 F550. I've heard of others with problems in the new parking brake setup Ford came out with 10 years ago. My mechanic checked out all that stuff when he did the rear brakes on my F150 (same e-brake setup). They had complaints of the brake dragging and squeeling the first couple years as well.

That's not a Ford axle; it's a Dana-I had the same issue on my '01 Dodge Ram.

the tranny is German too? least thats what I was told.....metric bolts which nobody had except bolt supply house...I have been through 3 ebrake cable set ups...maybe this was part of the problem. We shall see

oh like that, whatever.
I don't mind it, seems to stain the ceiling acoustics sometimes.

John, I asked Joneseready what a red day was, I wasn't thinking all the way.

I got a 97 Ford 350 4x4, is that the same setup? The dana axles?

Yours should have a Sterling rear end in it Deva... unless like said before... it has rear disc brakes.

I've heard of the same thing from Ford and MOPAR guys that have that setup John...

Gary

What about the lining in the fuel tank...heard of that?

I made sure my bolts were tight when I did my brakes, as I remembered it happened to you. You need to tell your guys to keep their foot on the e-brake pedal when releasing it, I've heard it saves some stress on the components.

Anyways, do yourself a favor and join thedieselgarage.com. You will find a forum dedicated to your truck. It's saved me money, and it's good to read up every other today to keep your brain fresh.

Drain your tank, there is a bolt on the bottem. As far as injectors, I run ashless 2-stroke 1oz/gallon of fuel, the new fuel is rough on systems. You guys are prob reading saying WTF, go to that site and do a little research. :D

funky old rotten doors

Just learned this one:

Toyota: Take Off Your Oversize Tires, A--hole!

Last edited:
Hey Brendon you are spot on with the Ultra Low Sulfa Diesel being low on luberisity. I have 2 500 gallon tanks one for onroad and other for off road fuel. I add DieselKleen cetane boost which takes care of the lubrisity also straight to the tanks. Saves a lot of messing around when you can fuel up at home:D

Fuel additive is cheap compared to injectors and pumps.

Exactly. I have a comparison chart showing the additive affectiveness.

By the way, my Ford needs BALL JOINTS. AHHHH.

Anyone have a ball joint press?

You see, 2-stroke falls #7 on the chart, and your Diesel Kleen at #10 plus costs more. Use only Ashless outboard engine 2-stroke...in a blue bottle made by Super Tech from WALMART.

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 4
I have drums all around, Gary.

It's actually in the shop, getting an alignment, all four ball joints,
and four new 10 ply tires. New fuel filter and oil change and it's gonna sing, hopefully.

Do you know what they are hitting you for the ball joint install? I'm on the fence doing it myself, I am capable but sometimes loose patients.

Back