Ever happened to you?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Went to use the biner and the black poly locking mechanism poked out. DMM brand about 5 months old. Probably used twice a week. Is it trash?

Attachments

• C5A40167-15B2-41CF-8C70-DAB9888629D3.jpeg
    C5A40167-15B2-41CF-8C70-DAB9888629D3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 70C2BC95-B5BA-4D81-8B50-6069C9D9EC79.jpeg
    70C2BC95-B5BA-4D81-8B50-6069C9D9EC79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • E61501C3-71F1-4682-8716-C06CB3AEED65.jpeg
    E61501C3-71F1-4682-8716-C06CB3AEED65.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
What happens when you try to use it? I'm not familiar with DMM biners.

edit:
I'd try contacting DMM for a RMA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m shocked too. Great advice guys.
John, it won’t close and lock anymore 🥴. It’s now out of commission and will be going to DMM. The only thing that I can think is maybe water infiltrated and then froze…..still…..

My boss mentioned to me that dmm says to not use graphite on there carabiners cause of internal damage. Don’t know if you ever used that on it but worth mentioning and looking deeper in to

Yes that has happened to a DMM oval carabiner of mine. After at least 2 years though so I never pursued it. It has made me avoid buying DMM biners, but I still have a bunch that work fine

It looks like the tinny metal strip used as a link between the spring and the boddy to close the gate. The little (but strong) spring in the gate pushes on the strip which pushes back on a little groove in the tip of the boddy in the knuckle (as a fulcrum point). It allows the gate to move with an angle without modifying much the linear spring's work.
If the little groove doesn't have the right shape, if it's worn out, if a shock jerked the gate, or over loaded it, the strip can jump out of the groove and slide outside. The spring can't push anymore and the gate can't move anyway with thins "foreign" thing in the knuckle gap.
I'm surprised if this part is in plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the input. I’ve never maintained it with graphite (gonna have to look at that as a lube) and treat my tools and equipment gingerly. Oh well…..not the only one then. Bartlett is sending a new one gratis. Now I have to get a dog so I can use the old and broken biner on a leash🤪.

I graphite my biners when they get a little age on them. I graphite all kinds of stuff actually. I just use a pencil. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll either "color" the surface, or file a bunch off and drop it in. For door locks, I file a bunch on a piece of paper, fold it into a V, then blow it into the lock. You can also "color" a key, and work it back and forth in the lock. That goes a long way. Doesn't take much to get things to glide again.

I clean my biners with a little WD-40 and compressed air. They’re pretty dry by the next day, maybe leaves behind a thin film of oil, but I’m happy.

I clean my biners with a little WD-40 and compressed air. They’re pretty dry by the next day, maybe leaves behind a thin film of oil, but I’m happy.
Wd40 doesn't leave much of a film behind. It's a water displacing product. With a great advertising program! If I wanted to oil something like a biner I think I would use sewing machine oil.

First biner I ever owned was a DMM auto lock from 87’ still have it somewhere. The auto sleeve is plastic. I’ll get a pic when I go back to the shop tomorrow.

I’ve boiled my carabiners then compressed air and graphite.
ive always liked dmm…. Kong is by far the worst.

I have had loads of the dmm oval. Then I had about 4 or 5 go with the black thing popping out. I realised I have 4 petzl oval binas that are about 15 years old. They are scratch but the mechanism is crisp.

The last order I got from the UK I bought 4 more petzl ones. They seem to last and when gunked up and quick soak in washing liquid and hot water and then a bit of graphite, they are like new.

3:1 oil works well too.

dmm used to be bomber before…
The petzl william d was a favorite.

Everyone has that friend that runs old Equip… love to see the wear points.

lately I’ve been going w rock exotica

Back