Ever dyed an Echo saw casing back to original orange?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Ever dyed a sun-faded housing of an Echo saw back to its original state?

Strictly for eye-appeal cosmetic reasons. I've sanded the top cover with varying grits of sandpaper and hit it with a boiled linseed oil/paint thinner treatment. It gets rid of the white/oxidized layer but is a much duller orange than the original orange - it's obviously been altered by sun exposure. Sanding off enough to get to where the pigment hasn't been altered would take a stupid amount of time and remove a lot of plastic which I'm sure would compromise structural integrity. A plastic dye would seem to be the way to go - Rit Dyemore is specifically formulated for plastics and is inexpensive though there are other kinds of dyes like procion dyes. Ever found a formulation that's really close to or an exact match for the Echo color?

Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I think it's gonna be hard getting a close match. Both due to dye color, as well as penetration and persistence. There's a million shades of spray paint, and it's still hard matching colors unless you find the exact color from the oem. It would probably be easier for you to just find a brand/type of dye that works well on saw plastic, and don't be too concerned about matching shade. Maybe even go totally different. Sometimes close is worse than far when matching color.

I'd be interested in hearing about what a good dye would be. I still have it in the back of my head to have an OD saw. My 2511 would be a good candidate aside from using it on cluttered ground relatively frequently. OD might make it a huge PITA when I put it down in dense woods and walk away for a minute.

Back