Emerald Ash Borer - Do They Like Other Trees Aside From Ash?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was picking up some wood this evening, walked past my small pile of spruce firewood, and saw an EAB nosing around the pile. I went in for the kill, almost stuck a branch in my eye, and lost track of it. My spruce was full of bugs when I took it down, and there's lots of exit holes that have appeared as it sat. I doubt it's EAB, but why was the bug poking around dried out spruce? Just there? Per the title, any reports of EAB getting into other US natives, particularly in the mid Atlantic?

I’ve read of it attacking another kind but I don’t remember what it was, some species I hadn’t heard of before.

Kinda beautiful looking bug, huh? Destructive little assholes, but quite pretty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, they're definitely an attractive bug. A shame nothing around here eats them though.

They are indeed a cool looking bug, stunning in color. I have heard of two other species that they go after but not native to WI so I didn't commit them to memory.

Ime, they go after nothing in my area other than Ash.

The bug is gone here, ate itself out of a home and the Ash are coming back.

Mother nature is not defeated easily.

Ed

I've got some that are around 12 feet high and a zillion about 18" high .I did have some 100 footers that are either saw logs or firewood now .The good thing about ash is it can lay on the ground for a long time before it rots away

Their root systems go to hell quick tho. I've seen many that are about three-four years dead blow over with little to no root mass left.

Springboards? Being 3'+ taller helps in some situations.
Could be as simple as a 2x8 going into a tight slot, cut slightly up from horizontal.

Root-rotted firs are pretty cooperative with face cuts at 5-6' up. I usually just cut those from the ground, starter- cover downward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are springboards something you guys(who aren't PNW loggers) sometimes use?

Loggers make springboards out of little trees, sometimes, I hear.

I don't personally know anyone else who has one, currently in use. Jed had one at the training he went to.

Jerry... Wouldn't be surprised if he had one, or Burnham.

A 2x8 jammed in a cutout would do about the same, I think, without the ability to swivel it.

Like the GRCS, it can stay in the truck until useful. When you need it, it's great.

Cutting a bad co-dominant above the fork, each with a definitive lean, May be easier than trying to cut below the seperation. That's when I've used it most.

Back