Critical root zone distance?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Howdy, what is the formula used to determine critical root zone set back? It seems this year is turning out to be the “year of the lot clearing” and I have several big stately oaks and walnuts that are questionable and the customer would like to retain them if possible.

That's what I always heard, but how does that work for a forest tree? You can have a pretty beefy tree without much of a canopy all things considered. Seems like there should be a larger root zone than the canopy would indicate.

1' of radius per inch of DBH/ DBH was one definition for CRZ (80% of the roots).

There are better ones. It came up in TB. Age, vigor, and size all influence it. Species should, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forest habitat but first generation habitat. We removed a lot of nice second growth habitat trees tall and straight.

Sounds like your pulling stumps ? Most times I cleaned out the woods we usually have flushcut the stumps , no impact to the roots of the preservation trees

I'll try and find one of my old reports where I overlayed the proposed building plans onto a tree protection/structural root zone map and it showed what was impacted and then one could calculate the encroachments. Generally anything into the SRZ is a removal, anything greater than 10% into the tpz without technical justification e.g. old retaining wall being replaced then reinstated is a removal

Back