Bike Pumps - SKS Rennkompressor?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Yesterday, I used Pat's bike pump to pump up the apta, and it was a 1k times better than the old bike pump I have. The one I use works, but is brutal, and I'm not sure it's even capable of taking the apta to capacity. I was looking at amazon, and there's a wide range of pumps, with the average decent pump(by my estimation) being ~$30, with some cheaper, and a couple over $100. Decided to look at target, and one of their "partners" was selling the SKS Rennkompressor. 240# capacity, made in Germany, and $80. The two bad spots I read in reviews online were the gauge is small(don't care), and it's a little tippy due to the traditional metal flip foot design(not ideal, but I like the robustness of steel).

I know there's some bikers here, so I thought maybe someone was familiar. The SKS appears to be the traditional standard, and is 100% rebuildable as it ages. Is this worth the price premium over a $30 (Insert Chinese made up name/name used under license/whatever) pump?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that goes in the negative category in the review! :^D That was actually a concern of mine. Not getting shot in the eye so much, but breaking the wooden handles. Wood is strong, and it works well, but you need to use first quality wood in something that small, and I don't think many makers hand select the pieces they use to eliminate defects. Grab whatever, and hope for the best.

This is the one I bought back in about 2015 when I was in Indianapolis for a tree event:

It has held up just fine, so far.

Their full line:

We bought this one a year ago for the apta, $30, no issues, pumps it up to ~130lbs in probably less than a minute

We always have the new guy pump up the Apta lol. The real trick is laying out the throw line, I never liked using fishing line because I can’t see it when it’s 120 feet up
My line launcher is home made out of PVC pipe. $30 of materials and it works just as good as the apta and it’s much lighter to carry. I like to make my own stuff not just buy something off the shelf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda gave up on powered pumps for routine stuff. A bunch of years ago I got a harborfreight pancake compressor to pump up my truck tires at work, cause one chronically got flat, and I got tired of handpumping it with my pump. I powered it with an inverter. Anyway. I never had much luck with small powered pumps. I've been using the hoses of dead 12v pumps on my handpump. I think I'm on my last hose at this point. I didn't realize how much it sucked til I used Pat's pump though. That thing was hardly like work. I ordered the one he linked above. Looking forward to not beating myself up trying to get air in things.

I have something similar, but 160psi capacity, rather than this one at 120

It's lasted years. The Gauge registers light.

25 pumps to 140psi.

Was under $50, likely under $40, maybe $30 at Target.

The pump stem is bent. "Someone" had a big forest alder barberchair and go 20⁰ off the lay, smacking the pump and APTA with the top, shearing off the aluminum barrel's threads on the APTA. Oops.

Back