An Esoteric Question - How Much Force Is On One Leg Of An R&R Friction Saver?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Got part of my TreeStuff order today, and it included the small ring I bought to make an adjustable friction saver. The big one is supposed to come tomorrow. Side note, it would be interesting to know how VSG logistics works where this silly stuff happens... Anyway, I was deciding what prusik cord to use. I'm hoping I can scare up some 10mm Flex, cause I don't care for that cord otherwise. I might have some in my truck setup. Can't remember, and don't feel like looking right now. I was thinking about breaking strengths, and was wondering how you'd even estimate how much force is on the cord.

The setup...

You have a ½" 16strand as the main line. It has a large ring with a poachers knot on the end.
On the other end of the line you have a small ring tied into a prusik loop, which is wrapped to the 16strand.
That of course means there's two legs coming from the small ring.
You have a 200# climber.

How much force is generated on the hitchcord? Assume mrs. Would that be 100# per ring, with the small ring divided by 2(50# per prusik leg)? None of this stuff is that tidy of course. I'm looking for an estimate.

Bonus question... I have 10mm beeline also, but the vectran core doesn't give me the warm fuzzies hanging a ring off of it. I've pretty much rejected exotic cores. Y'all think that's sensible, or paranoid?

I think your analysis seems solid. Lots of friction potential in that arrangement, complicating the numbers. Suffice to say any rope or prusik cordage rated for life support that you are contemplating will be more than sufficient to meet the demands on it.

Paranoid, yep :).

Back