28" and 32" Stihl Bars

A common thing said about sharpening is how people hate to file a full comp chain.

In the overall picture, isn't filing like taking a break. Lifting a file is easy compared to lifting one's self into a tree, or lifting rounds/ brush, or even lifting a big saw and bar. Beyond that, a freshly filed chain is satisfying to use.

Al: No worries.................Sean: welp, we just carry a couple of spares.......then grind after shutdown......

I can whip through a 72 driver chain in about 5 minutes but a damned 36" about wears my fingers out before I get-er-done .That 48" on the saw in my avatar I have to take a break and do it in it steps .The saving grace is that long bar is seldom used .

That damned dead ash I've been cutting it seems almost forever it's file every tank full .Tom whines about it as much as I do and he runs Stihl chain but it still dulls fast .

It probabley has a lot to do with nearly 65 year old fingers that have taken a lot of punishment in my life time .

When I was cutting in half up to 40 of these paper rolls in a day, I'd need alot of spare ground chains to keep this puppy outfitted.:lol:
After every cut a touchup with the file was needed. Two strokes on each cutter of this 5 foot full comp .404 harvestor chain only took me 5 minutes total.
If your wondering why my 090 is burnt..... the day before it caught fire when the paper cuttings ignited from the saws' exhaust. A little electrical tape and a new fuel line got her going again.

anna 032-001.jpg anna 033.jpg

I remember back in the early nineties my bossman had the brilliant idea to send me with a crew to chip documents at a hospital. The chipper was jammed within five minutes. That job didn't work out so well, ha.

I remember back in the early nineties my bossman had the brilliant idea to send me with a crew to chip documents at a hospital. The chipper was jammed within five minutes. That job didn't work out so well, ha.
Thats funny Butch because I almost did the same but turned it down. The weirdest thing I chipped was Labrador tea for a health food company, big big mess.
About 4 yrs ago I also turned down a request to grind up with my stump grinder potted soil/root balls from the Flin Flon mine medical marijuana project. That would have been and all time weird job.

I'd just like to see these folks run coconuts through a brush chipper .I'll bet that's a hoot but you'd about need a suit of armor I'd think .A chuck and duck could really fling a big nut back at you .About like getting smacked with a bowling ball shot out of a cannon .Ouch !

I almost bought a slightly used chipper a couple of years ago.
Had only been chipping 70000 quart bottles of water.
This company that makes bottled spring water had a new valve installed and somehow got oil pollution in all those bottles.
Instead of opening them and pouring the water out, someone came up with the chipper idea.
They made a chute into the feed therough and just dumped them in.

When I saw the machine, it looked just like new.

2. Willard, why were you cutting paper?
Nick, this job was from about 7-8 yrs ago. Our local Tolko pulp & paper mill had a couple hundred of cull [not marketable] paper rolls in their warehouse that had to be broken down in order for them to repulp or recycle them. Being about 14 ft long x 54" diameter they were too big to fit in the repulper.
There is roughly 1 mile of paper in each roll, thin but very tough called SPX Kraft. While newsprint mills are closing down across the country,our mill is still breaking production records for the world's appetite for cement and feed bags.

Since then the mill now has their own floor mounted computerized electric chainsaw running carbide chain.

My bud cut carbon rods with his Wood Mizer for a machine shop. Dirty job but he got well paid.
7-8 yrs ago I was charging the mill $100 hr in a 12 hr day, not bad just for running a saw. Had my groundie help me most times, paid him $14 hr plus overtime after 8 hrs.
Because there are no trees big enough where he lives to justifiably run an 090 on..... :D
Haha, oh there's a fair population of big spruce along the Porcupine and Riding Mtns here in Manitoba that got 5 to 6ft butts on them with no flare.
Actually I have in the past cut alot of 4-5 ft thick lake ice for cottagers to service their water lines. A few round hay bales too. The 090 is only dedicated to Alaskan sawmilling now .

One day, in an attempt at humor, after chipping a bunch of doug-fir, I through in the pizza box...sure enough, clogged chute in 0.2 seconds of eating it.

Back