200t oiler

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Brian for the diagram.....Al, you were right, intake hose completly clogged with shat. One blast of air = all better:D Thanks yall8)

All due to those stupid caps that cause all the crud to fall into the tank every time you fill it.
:|:

Glad you fingered it out, John. :thumbup:

Someone once said on one of the forums a cheap paint brush is the best thing you can do for yourself regarding saw maintainance. Brush the chips away from the caps before you gas or oil them,Good advice although most including myself don't do it . Hell I would lose the brush ,no doubt .:(

Al, these caps aren't the same as the old caps from the 70's like what you are used to. A brush doesn't work with these new flip caps on the new Stihls.

Well, I have some made in the 80's if that counts for anything:|:Ha,I know what you mean,I've seen those goofy caps. I wonder what promped them to do that deal??

Al, I'm sure if you go back in the archives of any of the chainsaw forums, you can find lots of discussions on those caps from about 5 years ago. Perhaps you may want to catch up. ;)

I'll go along with majority opinion about those caps that are now standard issue for a pro Sthil saw. I cussed a blue streak when they first came out and the engineer who thought the darn things up.

Having saws with the old and the new style caps in the same saw box. I would vote in favor for the new style caps because of the toolless feature which is a big plus when it comes time to refuel and add bar oil. You don't have to go in search of a scrench to open the new caps. This is not a big deal but does save a little time and a step in the procedure to gas and oil up a saw.

Both style caps have their flaws. The new ones don't work right all the time because of the extra parts inside to get them to lock down and can only go on one way. The old style that use the scrench would get egged out in the middle if the scrench was not applied right. Even if they were applied just finger tight they are hard to get off come refueling time and still need a scrench. Sometimes you couldn't tighten those caps without a scrench or they work loose.

Personally I liked the old ,old style hard plastic ones with the ridge across the top for your fingers to loosen or tighten. Those weren't perfect either as those caps could also work loose and become lost.

I think the new style caps are a good feature but needs refinement.

Let's not be coming down so hard on Uncle Al, the brush idea is an old idea for sure and may not work so good on the newer Sthil caps but a little on site cleaning around the oil and fuel caps is better than none at all. Just getting the coarse build up around the outside of the cap will keep that crud from falling into the oil tank when the cap is removed. I still carry a stiff parts cleaning brush around in every toolbox that is used for on site saw maintenance.

Al's idea has merit. And I don't mind needing a scrench cuz I like to clean the air filter when I refuel.

Frig those new caps. It outta be an option.

I have a few older saws that use an oil cap that is the same size as a lawn mower engine. Easy to remove and if you lose the danged thing to can get one at any lawn and garden shop in the country for a buck -2.98.What a novel idea .

I never used a scrench to put on my gas or oil caps and rarely to never needed one to get them off. Put them on nice and tight by hand and with the way they were oversized they would come off by hand as well. As I said zero issues I never 'wore' one out or had any problems with them at all.

I have not had the issues that some of had with the new caps. I do like the old style better

thats the way i am to justin, but as soon as someone else runs your saw they bar wrench it tight

I've got a few somebody layed the scrench to.Why I have no idea but it makes it tough to get them loosened up .Actually they should be replaced but I never seen to think about it until I'm cussing trying to lay the oil to them and no scrench in pocket .Kind of stupid laying profanity on an inantimate object but it seems to work for me .:|: My wife says I act nutz at times,she just thinks it's an act,fooled her .

I think dog cussing stubborn stuff like that brings out our super powers... The Human Scrench!

oiling like a mofo!!!:D stupid spark arrestor got clogged. Anyone run one without?

My next door neighbor has a 2 year old Echo blower. It's been running worse and worse for the last 6-8 months and this morning I saw it in his garbage can at the curb, next to an empty box for a new POS blower. I picked it up and this evening I removed the spark screen. It was completely clogged solid. 2 pulls and she fired up and runs great! Free blower!!!
:D

Oh, and none of my saws have screens in the mufflers. The 200T screen is also a restrictor, so removing it is like an instant 'ported muffler' job. You may need to readjust your carb to compensate for the better flow and increased power.

I hear it aint good on the ms200's. I used to take em out of my 020's though...pre 98's. saw shop hype? They also say the 200's are gonna be replaced in the next year or two? WTF...no way?

Sorry John, but I respectfully disagree. What you've heard is biased info based on what dealers are required to say in order to remain in compliance with emissions restrictions. When you want to learn how to make your saws run stronger, cooler and last longer, just ask. And your dealer isn't allowed to tell you the truth.

Back