Yeeeee Haaaawww! Stihl 041 G

top_notch

Treehouser
Just picked up this ole' boy from the dump for somewhere near a nickel. AND, I put gas in it and it started 2nd pull....not sure what I'm going to do with it though. No vibration dampeners, would rattle my teeth out. I'm not as hard core as them old skoolers.

Anyone use these saws at all...back in the day perhaps? I can't wait to put a bar and chain on it to see how she pulls, never ran a gear powered saw. I assume they aren't as good as today's saws since they aren't around anymore, to my knowledge.
CIMG1942.jpg CIMG1943.jpg

I think you could have jacked the R's a tad on that thing .If anybody at that time knew how .Still though even at two to one reduction it wouldn't have been a speed demon .

That 041 is only 61 cc and really only shows about a 24" bar which it would probabley pull in direct drive with no problem .I'm thinking these last of the gear drives were just carry overs from the time .

Find a bar and chain for it ,fire it up just for giggles ever now and again .The novelty will wear off after a few minutes of cutting .Neat piece of history though .:)

Mac even make some the size of a 10-10 .Pizzy little 53 cc deals .Why I have no idea .

That would be an awesome stump saw. Like already said... no speed involved... but will cut anything you will put it in. Not to mention pull a decent sized bar and chain too.

Gary

What Butch said. :rockon:

Yeah, I'll bet the novelty wore off pretty fast on the ol' misery whips too, but which one of us wldn't trade our woods-ported 460 for the chance to go back in time and fall an old-growth pig with one! (provided you were given the guarantee of getting back!) :lol::lol:

Those old gear drives running 1/2" chipper chain will chew their way through any thing .Probabley a petrified log for that matter .

I've got that old 650 Mac with an 87 cc engine and two to one reducion running a Homelite 8 tooth spur gear .For a gear drive it's fast but the SOB weighs about half again more the an 084 with a 42" bar .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I finally tried to do some cutting with this saw and it wasn't pulling the chain. Took the cover off, the one over the gears and clutch and discovered the clutch drum is spinning on the gear I think its supposed to be fused to. Any way to fix this, or does anyone have the part?

P1000177 (500x375).jpg P1000178 (500x375).jpg

I'm a thinking you have a rare bird there .According to Mike Acres site that saw was introduced in 1969 which by that time gear drives saws were all but non existant .I think it's like Butch' 090G they didn't make many of them so obviously parts would be rare as a hens' tooth .

That part is obviously something connected with the gear drive .I've looked at all my Stihl IPL's plus the micro fitche and can find nothing on that model .

I'm not even certain what it is ,clutch drum ?It's going to take somebody more knowledgable than me to figure it out .Magnus ,Larry S (chainsaw 57 ) ,Wayne Sutton ,Marshall Trover .

Say I took a run through e-bay and they list two IPL's for that saw fairly reasonabley priced at 13.95 per .If you could determine the part and part number it could possibley be cross referenced .Slim odds perhaps but that's about the best I can come up with .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
13.95 for the whole saw? I searched "stihl 041g" on there and didn't come up with the part. Any other ideas as to what to search?

Not sure what the correct term in English is but I think brazing is the correct word.
A bit hotter than soldering and copper/brass/silver rods are melted with a substance you dip the rod in to prevent oxygen to enter.
Almost like welding but not quite the same.

What is that thing Magnus ? I can't tell by the picture .My assumption is it probabley is similar to the type of gear driven clutch drum used by McCulloch but I'm not certain of that .

Let me rephrase that .On the McCulloch the drum is direct drive from the clutch. It's the gear on the end of the clutch drum that forms a portion of the gear reduction drive .

Back