Wood Turning

I went and looked at it and bought it for 125. You do have to shut it off to move the belt and it looks like its apain in the butt.

Maybe you could set it up with an oversized belt and a tensioned idler pulley. Wen it comes time to step up, just release the idler and make the move.

..you don't want a lathe where you have to stop it to manually move the belt. .

Mine is like that. Stop it, release the tension lever, open the side, open the back, move the bottom pulley, move the top pulley, then close the doors and retention the system. Only takes maybe 30 seconds- but I hate it.

I've only been turning bowls for a few months and I already have my eye on lathe #2. Larger and with variable speed.

Oh- another plus with with electronic variable speed- on my lathe the SLOWEST speed available is like 800rpm. That is too fast to sand an oblong bowl. With a better lathe I could run it really slow and my hand would follow the contour of the wood better.

love
nick

I don't know what it is like in the US with the weird electricity you've got, but here it costs like $100 to set up an electronic variable speed on a lathe.
Mine ( which is build by our best lathe maker, to my specification.........complete custom job from a time when I had an economic windfall) has 4 pulleys and electronic variable speed. Goes from 50-4000 rpm and pulls 2 HP at 50 rpm.

It might surely exist, but I have never seen electronic variable speed on anything over 120 volts in the US.

It's true... we have weird electricity! Watch out!!!

Well it sure is different from what we have here.
I had to sell off all my electric appliances when I went to the states.
Then do it over when I went home.
Rather costly!

I havent used my lathe yet. I kinda wish I looked at the newer ones before I bought the older one. My customer that turns gave my a big box off turning magazines and the newer ones look nice.

What looks thick the finish or the bowl? The finish on it isnt thick its put on real thin and with the decay in the burl he was only able to turn it so much.

The finish looks thick like urethane or varathane, has that kind of sheen. I was going to recommend an oil finish if one hadn't been used before.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1yWmqbltB-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

Impressive, Husabud.....I sent that link to the bowl turner to whom I supply wood..... seems a great way to produce far more from one bowl blank. I'd seen the big automated factory nested bowl production... but those are symmetrice, not live edge.

This is even more amazing:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/owT-XMNiBAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work, I'm not knocking it, but for me, the grain in solid wood is more beautiful than than anything done by segmented glue ups.

P1000296.JPG P1000299.JPG P1000300.JPG P1000303.JPG

I just finished this lidded bowl in elm burl.
It is for my Swiss lady, who wanted something to keep her jewellery in.
Since it is a "Liebesgeschenk" I decided to use a small carved heart as finial.

Back