Wood Turning

Nice thought. The reality is that most high end furniture makers don't make a lot of money. The time involved means asking fees that most folks are not wanting to pay. Finding the ones that will is the real jest of the occupation, just about anyone can do good woodwork if they set their mind to it and have the time. Lots of guys end up doing it for the love of the work, and are willing to sell cheaply to keep it coming in. That doesn't help any of us in the long run, but that is how it goes. One offs custom made commissions is particularly that way, I mean getting your due. If you have some items that you can do pretty quickly like a chair that you have worked out, and that sells for decent money, you can do ok. Working quick doesn't have to jeopardize quality if you have it worked out. You can become rich if you get famous, twenty some grand for a rocking chair, and people are waiting in line. Get the president sitting in one of your chairs and you are in.

I always suspected that while your work is worth a fortune, the market for it is limited. But that's ok. Life isn't about wealth, its about happiness. If one is happy doing what they do, they are wealthy.

I would agree with that, Chris. Working comprises a major part of our lives, it makes sense to do something that one likes. The making a lot of money or not part, making a living is sufficient for me, and the way situations have been at times, that in itself is something that seems fortunate. I have worked for some extremely wealthy people, and have gotten to know them to the point of considering them friends. Some have been more than kind, very fine people. I would visit sometimes with my young son, and when he would go into the bedroom of their similar aged son, my boy's eyes would pop out from all the gear that was there. We never failed to leave their home without the lady of the household giving my son a nicely wrapped little gift that was ready for such occassions, she was hip to what was probably going on in my son's mind. I always thought that was very cool and loving. Living in multimillion dollar houses with limited edition sports cars in the garage, your own jet with a pilot on standby, I don't doubt that the comforts are very attractive, but I have also observed that those folks have many of the same concerns as most of us; kids, keeping a marriage together, health, even money in factors of many multiplications. Having the bread doesn't guarantee a happy life, I don't envy it. A job that you like seems most important on the scale of things.

Jay, I don't know if I told you this before or not...my future son-in-law just finished his first year at the College of the Redwoods. He got accepted for the second year and starts that soon. The work he does is mind boggling, just like I see in the pictures of your work. I am looking forward to Daniel and my Katie finishing out this next year and coming home where I can watch him work.

Gary, no I don't think that you mentioned it. I was asked to give a lecture up at the College of the Redwoods woodworking program, though it was many years ago. I think I know some of the people running the program currently. It is an excellent school, though a lot of the work tends to be clone like, much influenced by the guy that started the program, Jim Krenov. Not really a negative though, giving people the sense of what level of proficiency is required to do quality work is a good way to get their careers going. One to two years is pretty short really, for someone to start their own business as a craftsman, but the reality of the situation is that there aren't many opportunities to continue training someplace else. Daniel must be a very good student to get accepted for a second year. When in California I had a two year student from that program helping me in my shop during summers, a Japanese kid. The only drawback about a program like that is that it is difficult to get a grasp on speed, which is pretty essential for making a living. A beautiful cabinet is a thing to behold, but if it takes you six months and you need to get paid for all that time, the potential client base really thins out. That isn't anyone's fault at the program, faster production methods aren't within the scope of what they have going there, no time and space for it.

When I was asked to go up there by one of the assistant instructors, I didn't know Jim then, but I knew his reputation as a somewhat crusty individual, and also had heard that he could be very hard on guests, rather critical of what they had to say. He had rather elite status within the woodworking community after coming to the states from Sweden, I think it was. He had put out some good books and was much credited for starting what they call studio furniture making in the US, that evolved into a strong movement, quite an influential guy in that regard. He was one of the first people to say that a piece of wood has a voice to tell you what you should make out of it, and good to try and be sensitive to that. Anyway, when I started to speak in front of the students and instructors, after a few minutes I glanced over at Krenov, and he was looking at me hard and kind of forcefully shaking his head back and forth. WTF? I had enough confidence to not feel intimidated, aspects of my own training are beyond anything that he ever knew about, but it did strike me as being indeed odd, if not rather unwelcoming. When the lecture and slides of my stuff was over, I got the impression that it had gone well. Some girl student wanted to take me home! :lol: Prior to my leaving, Jim came up to me and thanked me rather profusely. I guess it was a passing grade. I came to later see that his viewpoints on other people's work tended to start from the position of being skeptical. I think he was born in Siberia! We had some additional contact over the years. He passed away awhile back. No doubt that his former presence is still a strong factor at the program.

Good luck to your future son-in-law.

Jay,
Were you referring to "Woody's Chair Shop" in Spruce Pine, NC?
They made the rocking chair for President John Kennedy.
My neighbor grew up in Spruce Pine and knew the family.
She received the exact same chair from them as a gift.
Her son has it now that she has died.

The Woody family has been in the chair business for over 200 years:

Woodys Chair Shop

Pat,
I remember something about that chair, Kennedy was said to have a bad back and needed relief when sitting. It's an interesting site. Actually, I was thinking about a craftsman named Sam Maloof. I can't recall which president he made a chair for, but it had a lot of publicity go with it.. Sam's chairs are more stylized than what they do at Woodys. I think his rockers were like 25 grand a pop after he became so well known, and the waiting period at one point was a couple years. Everyone and their uncle still copies that design. He also received a MacArthur foundation fellowship award for his contribution to the arts, which adds appreciably to your bank account. Definitely a woodworker that made it from humble beginnings.

Pretty easy, actually.
Make it so it follows a growth ring and it is quite strong.

I'd have to agree with that.
Might want to chech what thread the spindle has, to see if it is easy to get chucks etc. for.
The tools are most likely worthless or nearly so.

...The tools are most likely worthless or nearly so.

Nah. Those are the practice tools so you can learn the art and science of chisel sharpening.

I'd also push the tail stock up to the head stock and make sure they are centered.

And make sure it works! I looked at a couple that didn't even work before I found the one I bought.

love
nick

I didn't think of that, Nick.
Been sharpening for so long, I have a favourite grind for all my tools.

Once you've got it down, buy some of these:http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/
They are the best I've ever used, and I have used most brands.

I'm still learning how to sharpen. I did it free hand for a few months and it sucked (though I didn't realize it at the time). I recently bought a worksharp sharpener and the tormek bowl jigs. It's amazing the difference. I can't believe it.

I've still got a ways to go, but I got no complaints about the sharpness of a chisel that just came of a 3600 grit wheel! :)

love
nick

I have the same lathe as the craigslist one, but mine has been hot rodded with a completely different bearing arrangement, and it is a different model with infinite variable speeds. The photo one I think is reasonable if the bearings are in good shape, but not much great about it. Speed changeability is essential. The photo seems to show different sized pulleys in the head, not really sure, but the way the motor is mounted does not appear to allow variable speed. if that is the case, definitely pass.

In one photo, it shows the step up pulley on the opposite side and the other photo, it is gone. I think for $150 you should be ok.

Even if it has a speed change pulley as Bud sees, you don't want a lathe where you have to stop it to manually move the belt. A total hassle from the dark ages. You really want one that has one of those pulleys on the motor that opens and closes to change speed. If it has that, there should be a handle on the lathe that gears it. It doesn't appear to have it.

Back