Wires

Page

TreeHouser
What's the deal with working near wires? I know to stay 10' from the primary's but what about house drops? I got a customer that's realy concerned about her wire being under the tree being removed and another guy told her that he can't work near it. I sent her proof of insurance but it doesn't specifically say I can work around wires. I do trees over lines all the time. Most guys around here do. (Even primary's) I was gonna tell her if she's that concerned then just get the line dropped. What do y'all think?

The rule for house drops is "avoid contact" according to tcia ehap.

Armchair view, I would do it, carefully of course, service up to 600v. I'm not sure how they do it around here now, hydro used to put bright orange sleeves on when working near secondarys.

Oooh good thread.

f29578b387d1542f2205d2a5133bff6e.jpg

How about the second rack down? The top are pge high voltage 12kv then stepped through the can to that second rack....they're on small insulators and wrapped with treewire.....anyway half the trees here are growing through those wires....

Similar deal here, call up the electric company and give the location and they have some people put a vinyl covering over the wires at no charge. Ours are yellow though :rockon:. About a hundred bucks to get a service drop from the pole to residence,

Working around services is usually not a problem as long as squirrels haven't chewed through the insulation on the hot legs. If there is any doubt, let the customer pay for the drop. There's no charge here for service appointments so if there's any question or if it just makes things easier, we'll get 'em to drop it. We've even had them drop single phase primary for a couple of hours.

Service drops here are free. Often if a customer is that much of a worry wort that they are making a big deal of this they might be a bigger PITA throughout the job. You should be able to bid the job and say it'll be done without electrocution and or ripping down lines, how that occurs is up to you. I'd give them a general rundown of how it'll go, non-conductive tools, insulated boom, no direct/indirect contact. But essentially if it's of no real concern to the job if it's of no real concern. Part of selling treework is instilling confidence in the customer that everything is going to go smoothly.

Because it's free here I'd schedule a service line drop if it makes the job easier, but if it's of no real concern I wouldn't bother for the nuisance of lining it all up.

Service drops here are free. Often if a customer is that much of a worry wort that they are making a big deal of this they might be a bigger PITA throughout the job. You should be able to bid the job and say it'll be done without electrocution and or ripping down lines, how that occurs is up to you. I'd give them a general rundown of how it'll go, non-conductive tools, insulated boom, no direct/indirect contact. But essentially if it's of no real concern to the job if it's of no real concern. Part of selling treework is instilling confidence in the customer that everything is going to go smoothly.

Because it's free here I'd schedule a service line drop if it makes the job easier, but if it's of no real concern I wouldn't bother for the nuisance of lining it all up.
What squishy said.

SEC drops here in my part of Ohio are free but I seldom use the service. When dealing with home owners they get a scope of work, proof of insurance, and a cost all in one email. Usually that is enough but I do cheat on estimates by being an electrician as well as an amateur tree guy.

Screwed up felling an easy spar today, slight back lean but should have come over with the wedges, I could have waited for the timber lorry with the grab to help, but no, the force was with me and I felt I was channeling Buckin' Billy Ray!

Tore out some telephone cables off the pole, going back now to fix it, so an afternoon of stuff instead of sitting on the sofa watching the Tour de France.

Muppet!

All done! A karabiner and an old drive belt wrapped round the top of the post to act as a pulley to get them all back up the top, then some good old fashioned bodging to secure it, some zip ties to tie the stretched ones together.
Customer laughed and gave me the cheque. (All phones were working btw)
None severed Chris, though I have fixed that before with some insulation tape, black of course, wouldn't want it to look unprofessional!

On the last one I did, the drop was free and the guys thanked me profusely for calling them first. At the end, they ran new upgraded wire to the house for no charge and the customer was extra happy. Easier on me not having to be extra "careful."

Back