Wild Salmon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wholeheartedly agree, Gary. Hatcheries are essential. The spawn from hatchery fish always comes back wild anyway. Closing the hatcheries is a huge step backwards to keeping natural runs going in these rivers.

Naturalists and environmentalists alike are trying to change everything back to the way it was 150 years ago. But it's gone too far to change it back, and they are screwing things up even worse in their attempts to. Killing entire runs of fish, tens of thousands, to save one genetically correct fish. It is total insanity.

I wholeheartedly agree, Gary. Hatcheries are essential. The spawn from hatchery fish always comes back wild anyway. Closing the hatcheries is a huge step backwards to keeping natural runs going in these rivers.

Naturalists and environmentalists alike are trying to change everything back to the way it was 150 years ago. But it's gone too far to change it back, and they are screwing things up even worse in their attempts to. Killing entire runs of fish, tens of thousands, to save one genetically correct fish. It is total insanity.

That sums it up perfectly, and I couldn't agree more Ger'. Those cats think one way, and it's all about old way of thinking preservation, and not conserving what we have now, to make a brighter future for our ecosystems.

Gary

We used to have salmon canaries in Grants Pass and they would harvest over 300k salmon there. This year we had 9600 make it to the hatchery 30 miles beyond that. They say the William J Ness dam blocked off much of the spawning grounds

When they solve the Salmon problem, I wish they would get going on the Giant Tuna problem. Those magnificent fish are getting down to worrying levels. Everyone likes raw fish now, of which the Tunas are the best. Guys still hand line alone for them in their boats up north here, a rather dangerous profession. One large one might get their bills paid for six months. The factory ships are the ones hitting the populations hard, heading out from as far away as Spain now. I suggest that they leave those fish alone for ten years.

I saw a news clip last night saying many of the spawning creeks are drying up out there on the east coast. Any truth to that?

Back