Wild Salmon

gf beranek

Old Schooler
It's kind of lengthy. But if you got the time....... It's a real eye opener.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MTbxOFcvC4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched 80% of it.

Of course everything boils down to money. My question is: if the wild salmon fishery is so huge and economically important (not to mention environmentally crucial, but maybe that doesn't matter), then why are the fish farms, which are sickening and killing the wild salmon according to this film, allowed to continue wrecking the wild fishery? Is it because they make even more money than the wild fishery so therefore they have the political power and can't be stopped?

Its too bad the fishery can't be run like the Alaskan fishery which is one of the most productive, most lucrative, and best managed on earth, afaik.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing with the farms is they can deliver product practically year around, which has huge market potential. Wild salmon on the other hand is strictly seasonal, which has much less market potential in comparison. Yeah it's purely money driven.

The issues with farm raised salmon and the diseases associated with them is really old news,as the issue was a point of contention back in the 70's when I was fishing wild salmon here.

It is a very valid point, and I am in full support of the wild salmon initiatives.

Fish farming is big business here, both ocean type fish and fresh water species. Ocean farms are netted pens that they have in bays and such. It used to be that the wild fish were better tasting than raised ones, but now it is said that the raised fish are better. The thing with raised fish is that there is concern because apparently it is common to use some chemicals to fatten them up quicker. It may not apply to Salmon, though we have those fish farms here too. Raw salmon is quite delicious. My wife won't eat it, says that she heard about parasites in them. i gobble it up.

I'm inland near places where salmon come to spawn. It's super cool. The pics of those cottonweed beaver trees I posted awhile back were taken on the local 'salmon trail'. Locally we have a annual salmon festival too.

Keep the salmon wild!

There is a huge debate going on here regarding the future of Wild Salmon in Norway.The Salmon farms are situated in Fjords and generate many jobs and revenue to the local Government in way of taxes.The Fjords are sometimes hugely deep,however the Salmon waste beneath the Farms mounts up over time,poisoning the Fjord.In addition the Parasites associated with the intense farming have killed off much of the Wild Salmon Smolt,hugely reducing the Wild Salmon runs.

Money wins here too.

I used to train with a guy who was an avid fisherman.
He and a buddy went up each year and spent two weeks fishing Namsen river in the peak of season.
Can't remember the price, but I remember thinking, I'd rather spend that money on a trip to California, so it can't have been cheap.

Seems like most fish waste is going to go downward, I wonder if they can't catch some as it falls into the fjord and pull it out on a regular basis? I don't know what the currents are like.

People can see wild salmon runs in Olympia. There is a fish ladder ( a way for fish to get past dams) in downtown Olympia at Capitol Lake on the Deschutes River (runs past the old Olympia brewery, now defunct).

The Elwah (sp?) dam was recently removed from Olympic National Park on the north side of the Olympic Peninsula. Salmon are not spawning up there again, after decades of a blockage part way up. I don't know how it works with salmon supposedly going to the part of the stream where they spawned.

Not so much, only certain parts like nuclear test sites. When i was a kid there were lots more open spaces that are very congested ugly now, and no resemblance to how they were. A kid could roam free and discover things, not feel like being in an ant farm.

I didn't mean us, Jay.
I meant humanity.
Earth has been around for w while and withstood some pretty rough stuff, like the dino-killer asteroid.

I didn't mean us, Jay.
I meant humanity.
Earth has been around for w while and withstood some pretty rough stuff, like the dino-killer asteroid.

Scientists are now thinking that it was a mega volcano and not an asteroid that killed dino and pals. But who knows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This world, let alone the life on it, has gone through some pretty major catastrophic events. And life goes on.

I feel man's effect on this planet will play out similar.

I smell communism. Is Stig in the House?

Where was the communism in that?

Butch was calling the earth pristine, all I was saying was that in my opinion it was never pristine.

It started out as a big hot mass of molten rock, what is so pristine about that?

Our short time here is nothing compared to the history of the planet and after we've frigged ourselves up and are gone, it will right itself again.
It has withstood harder blows than humanity, was my point.

I don't have any trouble believing man's activities could be changing the climate, but a lot of people do. Almost all of us here in the US are burning a lot of fossil fuel. Add up work, play, and everyday living/consumtion and it's quite a pile.

Where was the communism in that?

Butch was calling the earth pristine, all I was saying was that in my opinion it was never pristine.

It started out as a big hot mass of molten rock, what is so pristine about that?

Our short time here is nothing compared to the history of the planet and after we've frigged ourselves up and are gone, it will right itself again.
It has withstood harder blows than humanity, was my point.

No no. I was just joking. There was no communism in that. I was just ribbing you out of nowhere.

I knew that, Chris.

Just took the chance to clarify my post a bit.

I believe in global warming, and I also believe we are acellerating it.
I just don't think it mattera a whit in the grand scheme.
Earth has had warming cycles before.

Thanks for posting that, Gerry. An eye opener for sure.

I am ashamed of the state of affairs in my country. Our government has slowly been sliding towards fascism, under the guise of stimulating the economy and providing security from global markets and the great boogeyman go to guy the 'terrorists.' Human rights are ignored, treaties with first nations are trampled upon, and science is muzzled while the corporate state becomes more powerful, and less accountable. Two trade agreements coming down the pike will further render the individual rights and choices of my fellow countrymen an ever difficult illusion to maintain. To say that this is the beginning of fascism in North America would be an incredibly ignorant statement to make. Fascism is already here, and most people in my country are under the illusion that we have a democracy. To me, it is pathetic.

We are given just enough freedom to maintain the illusion that we are free, but the reality is that we are almost, to a person, hopelessly enslaved by our own minds. Minds that, from a very young age, have been conditioned to accept and even support systems and paradigms that require the slavery, suffering and misery of people around the world, all the while degrading the quality of the environment both at home and abroad.

It is my great hope, that as the old guard in this country and others fades, those that take up the mantle will do so from a more holistic perspective of the world around us. But for now, in the immortal words of George Carlin, lets just sit back and enjoy the freakshow.

Very good post. Wisdom from the founding fathers will get you locked up, if turned into action. I like the campfire chat George/Jack has in Easy Rider. Some wisdom there, too.

When GHW Bush touted free trade telling us it would be good for the country I knew he didn't include us little people in the equation. The more you know the more pissed off you get.

Salmon are spawning past the old site of the Elwha dam. It is an amazing feat that they are up there doin' their business this season. First time in 100 years.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/a...o-elwha-river-to-spawn-upstream-from-location

Washington and Oregon states are facing radical lawsuits from extremist "wild fish protection" agencies to completely stop hatchery production in our states. Hatcheries and wild brood stock programs have supplemented wild fish runs for decades. Some producing fish that are 85% to 90% as strong as true wild fish. I am for wild fish. But hatcheries have their place in this ecosystem. I know the video that Gerry posted is about salmon farming. But on the link I have below, is a short half hour video, about how Washington and Oregon Tribal fisheries, commercial fisheries, and sport fisheries are banding together to save our hathery programs. The wild brood stock program that was lost here in Washington on the Sol-Duc river is tragic. There were great fish coming from that hatchery... now it sits dormant due to a "loss of funding".

http://www.hatcheryandwild.com/

Wild fish need to be protected. But they can share the same ecosystem as hatchery and wild brood stock fish.

Just another perspective on the fish culture here in the PNW. What totally sucks is that it's polictics and money that come out ahead in the long run. The ones who really suffer are the fish. All the wanna do is procreate.

Gary

Back