What's your job and why?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 157
  • Views 9K
Been working a a contract climber for about 11 years... Prior to that, a year and a half employed, as a climber, then 6 months working for the local borough council as a climber.

I was bored so left and went SE. Due to the imminent move to Norway I decided against setting up directly for myself and just contract climbed. Then 11 years later, we still haven't moved.

Watch this space on the move front.

Prior to tree work, I went to Uni and obtained a Bsc in Exercise Physiology and Computer Science. I used the CS part of it to get a job in London working in the Internet industry in the late 90's. Very, very well paid but I hated it with a passion so I lasted about 4-5 years then once all my debts were paid, I worked in the Alps for a seasonal a holiday guide and board tech. Then did a couple of seasons boarding, smoking and drinking.

When I wasn't traveling I was sorting Arb quals out and helping a mate out when needed. Full time climbing since that first employment in tree.

Crikey, Nate... what degrees do you hold?

Organic chemistry finished me...

Lol! You and I both. Organic was when I changed majors. I ended up with a Forest Science degree. Analytical chemistry is not that hard. Just take a systematic approach and remove as many variables as possible, keep in mind that while it gives a damn good idea, correlation does not equal causation.

My lack of degree in the field is my strength. If I can do it, then surely my customers with advanced degrees in chemistry can do it, right?

It is a little like the annoyance of employees, except now I have to spend time reminding horribly intelligent people about the obvious.

Part of the reason Organic was so hard was because my prof was insane. A lot of chemistry teachers are kinda nuts...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some interesting stuff here, beyond simple curiosity, another reason for this thread is that I am always looking for ideas on what to do next.

Well. I've been holding out sort of, on my new undertaking. Mostly to bug Mick a bit but also because it's pretty tame compared to killing monstrous trees.

As most know I sold my business a year and a half ago, so contractually to that sale I'm done with tree work for five years. I could still log and considered it but I'm more of a moving forward kind of guy and I didn't really want to go back to logging which I did for quite awhile as a young man. I kept my snow plow contracting end of things when I sold my business. Two trucks pretty well flat out in the winter here can make me a really decent living, but it's only like three months of the year.

So I started a chimney sweep business. I've always been very interested in wood burning and have burned my whole life and mostly serviced my own chimneys. When I did have a 'pro' in I noted it was quite expensive and I was left underwhelmed by the service I received. So I stepped up. Couple weeks of training, some layout for gear.

Now I give no free quotes, show up and do the work, rates already preset. You are basically hired when someone calls you. No one gets three quotes to clean a chimney, at least not more then a phone call quote of price. I lol sometimes, I make just as much showing up and doing a cleaning as what I used to make to go and quote for free and then roll back with a crew/equipment as a minimum charge. No more lost leaders.

So low stress, low overhead, no employees, seasonal so my spring/summer don't get screwed up to bad. Customers are pretty well repeat, so once your base is built you just service the same people over and over. I have interest in it so it's fun for me still. And now not only do I get to see people's houses/yards I get invited right into their home too. For now I enjoy it, and if that enjoyment ever leaves, like it did for tree work for me, I'll sell another business and move onward.

image.jpg

The guys I know over here that do that are always booked years in advance. Good luck with it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a great idea, Justin. I hope it goes well for you!

Good luck mate.

An interesting choice. I once got chatting to a guy doing it at a property in London. A small cottage, but he was charging about 40-50 quid a sweep and was done in less than 45min with full clear up. maybe a bit less depending on how much shit up there. I recall him saying pretty much the same as you regarding building your round and the stress free side of it. He was third generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_sweep

Woodwork, but also have chainsaws, will travel. Why....just something I started in junior high because I liked it and the teacher was cool and supportive.

A good balance between the detailed shop work and very different scale working outside with trees. Get fed up with one, go back to the other. :lol:

Attachments

• counter1 copy 2.jpg
    counter1 copy 2.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 64
Thanks gents. No top hat and tails. Maybe for Halloween. :D

Jay I am offering repairs and inspections for insurance as well. Obviously some liability involved with the work and insurance is a cost. But re-selling items and making a up charge on those types of things is nice compared to just selling a service.

Here the 'profession' isn't nearly as highly regarded or entrenched as in a lot of European countries. So it's relatively easy for a newcomer like me to come in and take a piece of the market. Similar to when I started treework im hearing from folks that it's very hard to get even a callback from the established companies, and also many comments about the lack of professionalism. So I strive to answer the phone or callback in a timely fashion, keep a clean rig and neat appearance. Logo'd truck, a uniform that consists of being dressed all in black with a long sleeved shirt logo'd as well.

As when I entered residential tree work it seems my competitors ar asleep at the helm. All the better for me.

Not much Mick, I believe it was you who asked me once what I was up to when I mentioned taking some courses. I was elusive about it at the time, so I convinced myself you were curious. But I'm sure you could've cared less. Lol.

Any potential for selling stoves as well? Pellet is getting big here, a growing market. Got a friend that sweeps and sells stoves as well. A small showroom, but mostly markets via catalogs.

I'd forgotten, anyway good luck with it, it's steady work, and lucrative, at least round here.

House insurance demands that certified sweeps do your chimney or your insurance is invalid in the event of a fire.

I don't think I'll go that route Jay. No desire to set up a storefront, which is what stove suppliers require.

No employees is how I'm going to roll.

My own schedule, no one to worry about. I have a nice big shop to keep all my stuff in and maintain it. By this afternoon I'll be blowing out soot and whiping down tools with the radio on and having a couple cold ones. I don't really want to be to to busy.

I served in the Army for 16 years. Fixed medical equipment for another 20 years. Owned and operated my own Dental Supply business for about 15 of those years. Sold my dental supply business and sort-of-semi-retired. Started gardening and landscaping on my own property. Loved it. Was asked to help a few others once in a while. You know the rest.

Joel

Awesome talent Jay.

Awesome new turn of events Justin! Sounds unusually.....stress free?

You need a catchy phrase for your business. Chimney need a swish? Call Squish! Well, maybe better than that.:|:

That is awesome, Squish, sounds like a near perfect gig. On top of that you appear to live in paradise...

Awesome talent Jay.

More than an awesome talent... Jay is a Master.

If I was rich, I'd give him a blank check to create the masterpieces he builds, for me.

If I was younger, I'd kill three people to be his Apprentice...

Maybe more.

:/:

;)

Back