Weird bucks

"Thread the needle", referring to missing stumps that is. No visible breakage. Perfect Matt!

That's "virgin" second-growth redwood. Long ground, big trees and no brush. Just ferns.

Hasn't been a saw in there since it was yarded 150 years ago.

Yep, a faller gets a good strip once in a while. Like heaven on earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did something cool, the owner Ron showed me to pre cut some of them old stumps or a stump you have made. Pre set it with an angle cut but not all the way through. Send the tree at it, it acts as a dampener and then it breaks off and the tree will slide down and land into lead.
Here is my scale sheet from that day.

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
That's a good day, Matt.

Great on the stumps. Ron sounds like a well seasoned faller.
Yeah I’m always surprised you guys never ran into each other. I guess he was out in the Scotia area since the 90s. He showed me a tree where he had 9 rams in the back of it, pretty wild. I bit off more then I could chew the other day. Last tree way too much back lean and up hill with a tight shot. I was getting greedy and only had three wedges. Beat on it for a half hour and got too tired. It was hour 6 and the bull buck wanted me out. I had to beat it over bright and early the next day. Took me 5 double stacks to get it over. Most of the time these redwoods make you feel like He man with how easy they are to beat over so you can get a lil over confident on stuff especially when you only have a few wedges on ya.

You're slaying'em, Matt.

How's Katelyn doing in her strip?
Oh she’s doing good, I think she hit a patch of small stuff but moved through it quick. We kinda of can’t wait to be done with this job. The hikes are getting pretty old. Most of the original people who started this job have left. 🤷‍♂️

We are very proud to know you Jer! You have been a mentor In more ways then you will ever know. Like I said I’ve built my career off your influence. Yeah we hate taking days off but I think it will be a bit later than we thought till we’re done. 10 long strips left. I guess I have the juiciest wood of the project so I had the Baileys send me up a cannon 50. Im going to double jack with another cutter for the rest of this week to pick up these dandy’s. I with it was Katelyn but she’s clear off on the other side of the mountain. I should have some cool photos and Foote hopefully. Going to use a bit of the box cut with a snipe on the bigger ones.

By the way Jer, I’m working on my TCIA power point and I’m drawing a blank as to how many feet an off corner can put your top. With a 200 ft tree and inch can be about 10feet correct?

Close enough in theory, Matt. Fact, it can all be proven mathematically, but as we know, in the real world a lot of things can change the theory.

When it comes to threading the needle being off by just a foot or two can mean hitting a stump and turn a valuable tree into worthless chunks. The very same can be said for the ground (lay). Being off just a foot or two can make your day or break a valuable tree.

When compensating for minor side lean or limb-weight, an extra inch or two of wood on the opposite corner (tapered hinge) may be all you need to compensate for that.

As for "significant" lean or limb-weight... a faller may also have to over-gun the undercut opposite the favor of the tree. Over-gunning the undercut is another method that can be proven mathematically, but again in the real world many things can change the theory.

That's where years of experience makes a savvy faller. But then even a savvy faller can guess wrong in their calculations and end up breaking a tree from over compensation. Isn't life rich?

The good news is the longer you do this the better you get, and your success rate at threading the needle keeps going up.

Always glad to help out anyway I can, Matt.

By the way, those nice trees you mentioned sound intriguing.

Back