Weird bucks

MatthewMMeckley

TreeHouser
I’ve come across a few bucks that I don’t even know what to do.

Hope Mr. B sees this and can help out. Been watching the limbing and bucking videos every night this week because I’m in a new strip that is so short and filled with trees that arent marked and it’s steep. Think of a w for the ground blocked in by two bluffs. IMG_4096.jpeg

Steep, short ground and tall trees all makes for a real puzzle.

Hindsight is 20-20 they say. Those hang-ups and side-binds can usually be avoided if you open room by falling other trees out of the way first. But you're stuck with them now, and they're probably blocking you from felling other trees.

With side-binds bucking bastard lengths or cutting the one holding the bind can sometimes solve the problem. But looking at pictures it's hard to say.

With hang-ups cutting a key tree or bombing it with a bigger one can sometimes gett'em down. But that can sometimes make things worse, too.

Only other thing is to come back when they're logging the unit and work with the rigging to get them down.

When you have no other options you're forced to leave both, and that can make you look like an amateur. But better that than dead.

Consider it a lesson, Matt, and hope you get a better strip next time.

Be careful, partner, cut I'm looking forward to having another beer with you and Katelyn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A
Steep, short ground and tall trees all makes for a real puzzle.

Hindsight is 20-20 they say. Those hang-ups and side-binds can usually be avoided if you open room by falling other trees out of the way first. But you're stuck with them now, and they're probably blocking you from felling other trees.

With side-binds bucking bastard lengths or cutting the one holding the bind can sometimes solve the problem. But looking at pictures it's hard to say.

With hang-ups cutting a key tree or bombing it with a bigger one can sometimes gett'em down. But that can sometimes make things worse, too.

Only other thing is to come back when they're logging the unit and work with the rigging to get them down.

When you have no other options you're forced to leave both, and that can make you look like an amateur. But better that than dead.

Consider it a lesson, Matt, and hope you get a better strip next time.

Be careful, partner, cut I'm looking forward to having another beer with you and Katelyn.
Aww hell, you are super right Jer but I don’t think I could get away with cutting other trees. The one tree I anticipated to break because of the ground and it didn’t. The other three it off lead due to a thought canop and my corner slightly off. I feel like an idiot and the last part of this week was hard. My boss and I are going to look at these situations and have a look or go. Old school hardcore busheler and just laughed and said kid I’m not worried about it. You should have seen the pickles I got into every once in awhile. Good insight and we will definitely plan to see you soon.

The second pic reminds me of Jerry's pic in FGTW of that humongous redwood felled uphill and rammed tight against it's stump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We
Walking up and down trees laying straight uphill, day in and day out, would kill my ankles.

I'd have to stop occasionally and hop off tree, just to scuff out a spot on the hillside so I could stand on something level.
my ankles and calves were burning today, I’m going to give ya a call tmmrw once I’m done with work tomorrow Jer!

You can post vids here but I'm not the expert re how to

Gerry, with a tree of that size on ground that steep, I'm wondering what you did with your saw when that monster started to go. It looks like leaping for your life would be challenge enough without trying to also protect your saw.

I'll look forward to what Ger has to say.

I never cut trees of that magnitude, not close...but still some pretty large stems, a few of which were in really precarious working positions. One I recall, after I had the back cut in about three quarters of the way finished I stopped and tied the rear saw handle of the 066 to a small tree base nearby, with just enough slack to work. The tree had some head lean, so I was confident it would commit as the back cut progressed...so no chance of setting the saw aside in a safe place and wedging it over.

It was at the crest of a steep as cow's face road cut nearly 100 feet high. I was on a rope and saddle myself. When the tree headed off away from the road cut, I just dropped the saw over the edge and then followed suit myself.

It was hairy, enough to get your attention anyway.

Last edited:
Crazy! It’s hard for me to fathom working on steep ground like that and trees of size. Damn glaciers. Ha!
But I do like reading the stories you guys have.

That was a pull tree on Cat ground, and it had a Cat dug layout. One blade wide and quartered to the slope.

After cutting it up I went to safe space, 20 feet other side of the tree, then called on the radio, "Pull it, Don!"

Saved out to about 30 inches.
Ger, what do you mean ‘saved out to about 30 inches’?

Back